Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2019/03/27 08:10:28 UTC

Abstract for ApacheCon NA 2019

Hi all,

as we already discussed here [1], I think that it would be really good for the project to be represented with a  talk at ApacheCon NA.
I took the liberty to prepare an abstract for the project and suggest that we submit this abstract.
If some of the initial committers like Xiangdong manage to come to the Conference, it would be great if they do the presentation.
Otherwise, I can also do it (and we can assemble the slights together or so).

So please let me know what you think of this suggestion and how you like this abstract:

Hello World! Introducing Apache IoTDB - a Database for the Internet of Things

Apache IoTDB (incubating) is one of the youngest projects in the Apache Incubator. It is an integrated data management engine designed for timeseries data, based on a file format which is able to store timeseries data very efficiently. It provides users specific services for data collection, storage and analysis. Due to its lightweight structure, high performance and usable features together with its good integration with Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark, it can meet the requirements of massive dataset storage, high-speed data ingestion and complex data analysis for industrial IoT applications.
As the project is very new to the ASF, the talk has three objectives. First, introduce Apache IoTDB to the world. Second, to give an overview about the architecture of the project and the technologies used inside and third, to give an idea how IoTDB integrates with other Apache Projects and where it fits in the (IoT) data processing ecosystem.

Best
Julian

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/fc6a3c311364bd0f704c1e6575da26f69ad7617497a32cef33cc687f@%3Cdev.iotdb.apache.org%3E

Re: Abstract for ApacheCon NA 2019

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi, yes, thats a very good idea Chris : )

Am 10.04.19, 09:21 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

    You can always do a two-people talk ...

    However Julian ... perhaps add yourself as secondary speaker ... I know you submitted another talk and only the primary speaker gets a free conference pass.
    Just a cost-optimization suggestion ;-)

    Chris

    Am 10.04.19, 08:59 schrieb "Julian Feinauer" <j....@pragmaticminds.de>:

        Hi Xiangdong,

        thanks fort he compliment : )
        As nobody else exposed his interest in this proposal I suggest to submit this proposal with both our names as Authors.
        When ApacheCon is nearing we can sort out how to do it and who, in the end, makes the final polishing and gives the talk.

        Do you agree?

        Julian

        Am 05.04.19, 04:00 schrieb "Xiangdong Huang" <sa...@gmail.com>:

            Hi,

            After reading several times, I think @Julian's proposal is really good
            enough for me... (And I notice that some contents come from the iotdb
            website. Thanks the author :D).
            I just added one sentence for introducing that IoT ask for a time series
            database. And, added "and some use cases" in the third objective.

            And, I notice that the proposal can be modified again and again until the
            submitting channel is closed (due: May 13, 2019 9:00 PM (Asia/Shanghai
            time)), so maybe we can submit a version these days.  Welcome more guys to
            modify this proposal.

            Title:
            Hello World! Introducing Apache IoTDB - a Database for the Internet of
            Things

            Abstract:
            Time series data management system is becoming increasingly important with
            the rise of the Internet of Things, especially in the industrial area.
            Apache IoTDB (incubating), one of the youngest projects in the Apache
            Incubator,  is born for that!
            Apache IoTDB is an integrated data management engine designed for time
            series data, based on a file format which is able to store time series data
            very efficiently. It provides users specific services for data collection,
            storage and analysis. Due to its lightweight structure, high performance
            and usable features together with its good integration with Apache Hadoop
            and Apache Spark, it can meet the requirements of massive dataset storage,
            high-speed data ingestion and complex data analysis for industrial IoT
            applications.
            As the project is very new to the ASF, the talk has three objectives.
            First, introduce Apache IoTDB to the world. Second, to give an overview
            about the architecture of the project and the technologies used inside and
            third, to give an idea and some use cases about how IoTDB integrates with
            other Apache Projects and where it fits in the (IoT) data processing
            ecosystem.

            Best,
            -----------------------------------
            Xiangdong Huang