Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Nikhil Khandelwal <ni...@microsoft.com> on 2015/07/06 19:16:19 UTC

Release testing gaps

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-9248 highlights a testing gap with our release process:

*         cordova-plugin-whitelist should not have been released with having iOS platform >= 4.0 without iOS platform release. While reverting the 'latest' tag was a good move to get this fixed, it would have been nice to catch it earlier.

*         cordova-plugin-file-transfer should not have been shipped with a build failure on WP8 because it references unreleased types in WP8 platform in master.
While we are using buildbot to run and the build the plugin against master version of the platform, most users are using it with the released version of the platform. At the very least, this scenario needs to be tested at the time of release, if not in a CI scenario with every commit.

Would love to hear your thoughts on how we can catch these issues before release? One of the ideas is to use buildbot to schedule a 'release' build that would run the tests we have with the correct versions of the code that we want - release tag for plugins against released versions of the platform.

Thanks,
Nikhil

Re: Release testing gaps

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
yep, I agree with Steven to test the potential combinations to be released

" It would be
nice to test master plugins against released platforms and master platforms
with released plugins."

Re: Release testing gaps

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@gmail.com>.