Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com> on 2007/01/17 19:59:54 UTC

GPL Product with Floss - License hosted and distributed with ASF software?!

Hi there,

I'm working on a Apache Lucene contrib project called GData-Server.
GData-Server allows to use different kind of persistence layer
implementations and for good reason we wanna offer a DB4o
implementation hosted and distributed with GData-Server.
DB4o is actually GPL licensed and would not be compatible with the
ASL, but DB4o now offers a so called FLOSS ("free/libre and open
source software") License which is supposed to be compatible with the
ASL. But I'm not a lawyer so I need your help.
Would it be possible to include the db4o binaries in the gdata
distribution with the license offered by Db4o?!

You can find the license text here:

http://www.db4o.com/about/company/legalpolicies/docl.aspx

best regards Simon

----------------

mailto: simonw@apache.org

Re: GPL Product with Floss - License hosted and distributed with ASF software?!

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 1/18/07, Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 10:18:09PM -0500, Henri Yandell wrote:
> > IANAL etc, and I don't know how well written that license is, but I
> > get the feeling from it that the above is the intention and that would
> > definitely mean that ASF policy wise you should still treat it as a
> > GPL licensed work.
>
> FWIW, for APR-util, we don't permit the MySQL DBD driver to be bundled
> because MySQL has a similar FLOSS exception which places a roughly
> equivalent (and unacceptable) burden for our downstream devs and users.
> So, if you want it, you have to download it separately from Nick's site
> directly.  -- justin

Do I get it right that you provide some kind of "bridge code" which
makes the use of a "GPL" product possible but you have to download it
yourself. Well this would be alright for me.

thanks Simon

Re: GPL Product with Floss - License hosted and distributed with ASF software?!

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
I suspect the important parts are the redistribution rights:

"b. sublicense to your end users perpetually, pursuant to the terms of
the GPL, those portions of the Software or your FLOSS Application that
were not licensed pursuant to a FLOSS License prior to your accepting
this Agreement; and "

I think if I, Joe Bloggs, take GData-Server (with shiny DB4o
dependency) and put it in my product which is not itself licensed ASL,
EPL, BSD, GPL; then I don't get to use the FLOSS license that
GData-Server used but instead I have to use a GPL license.

IANAL etc, and I don't know how well written that license is, but I
get the feeling from it that the above is the intention and that would
definitely mean that ASF policy wise you should still treat it as a
GPL licensed work.

Hen