Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Wayne Glanfield <wa...@hotmail.com> on 2005/12/06 22:12:28 UTC

Portlet, JSF, Spring

I'm currently in the process of porting a JSF(MyFaces1.0.9), Spring-1.2.5,
Hibernate-2.1 application to Jetspeed2m3 portal. I'm relatively new to all
of these frameworks so appologies for any dumb questions.

I have managed to get as far as configuring and displaying my application as
a portlet, however, I have run into problems when retrieving the external
context (normally the ServletContext) when the spring service layer is
called from JSF page.

My initial application retrieved the external context using something like
this (appologies, for lack of actual code - we are not permitted to have
internet access for various reasons at work)

ServletContext context = (ServletContext)
FacesContext.getCurrentInstance().getExternalContext().getContext();

This returned a servletContext which is then passed to a static spring
utility class to retrieve the spring ApplicationContext. The spring
ApplicationContext is then used to return a reference to the service layer
and DAO.

this.appContext =
WebApplicationContextUtils.getRequiredWebApplicationContext(context);
this.catalogService =
(CatalogService)this.lookupService(CATALOG_SERVICE_BEAN_NAME);

Now when the JSF page is running in a portlet the returned external context
is JetseedPortletContext.

My question is, how do i obtain a reference to the ServletContext or should
I be using the JetspeedPortletContext

Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: Portlet, JSF, Spring

Posted by John Lewis <jl...@arcanumintl.com>.
Wayne,

Spring Portlet MVC has a corresponding PortletApplicationContextUtils
that you can use in the same manner.  Specifically:

    this.appContext =
PortletApplicationContextUtils.getRequiredWebApplicationContext(context);

Where 'context' is your PortletContext should work just fine.

See the following for more info on Spring Portlet MVC:

    http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/spring/display/JSR168/Home

It will be part of Spring 1.3, but you can use the downloads at this
site to solve your problem now.

-- John Lewis