Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by "Martin Wauchope, 3inc" <ma...@3inc.com.au> on 2006/11/10 15:08:59 UTC

Anyone using OFBiz for full-on HR management?

Hi
Is anyone using OFBiz for full-on HR managmenet?. I've looked at the
publicly available info and I can't see it - there's a set of HR entities
but they're pretty basic and I can't find any info on functionality that's
been developed to sit on top of them.

I've listed some of the functions we're after down further, here are the key
questions in my mind:

1.  Has significant HR functionality been built into OFBiz yet?
2.  Are there any organisations of significant size (5000+ employees) using
OFbiz for full-on HR management?
3.  If OFBiz doesn't yet have significant capability in this area, how long
would it take to add the stuff below (presuming we could come up with a good
spec).

The sorts of things we need are (this is a very abbreviated list):

*  Managing people - various types including employees, contractors etc.
All personal info, CV documents, skills, competencies, qualifications,
licences etc. (I think OFBiz could handle this bit fairly easily)
*  A self-service facility for people to manage some of the above info
themselves
*  Manage assessments of people's competencies. Also generate reminders when
competencies or licences are soon to expire.
*  Manage org structure - org units, org hierarchy, sites/locations. We're
helping a project-based organisation so they are always starting up and
closing down org units.  Thus they need to track the org structure over
time, i.e. know what it was like in the past and what it will be like in the
future for planning purposes.
*  Manage positions within org units. Keep track of responsibilities,
authorities, job levels, skill and competency requirements etc.  Track when
positions start and finish and track who's been (and will be) allocated to
positions over time. Automatically suggest and schedule training for people
who need additional skills / competencies to perform a position.
*  Manage workforce planning. Schedule org units & positions into the future
with what-if scenarios. Plan allocations of people to positions into the
future. Search for people to match current or future positions using a range
of criteria - availability, skills, qualifications, job level, experience
etc. Search for suitable positions for a person using a similar range of
criteria. Provide graphical timebars of the org hierarchy and positions for
easy management; display these at a point in time.
*  Manage training throughout the organisation - external training
providers, internal training providers, training catalogue of courses,
scheduled training events, sessions within training events, training
authorisations, booking people on training events, waitlists, training
attendance, cost management, evaluations, completion certificates,
government & industry subsidies etc. Automatically provide invitations,
reminders and evaluations via email / letters / SMS. Automatically allocate
competencies on completion of training. Provide a graphical calendar of
training events.  Manage bulk bookings and waitlisting.
*  Manage programs of training (sequences of courses), i.e. standard
development programs or tailored programs. Manage training needs analysis.
Track progress through programs, automatically book onto next training
courses on completion of prior training.
*  Provide heaps of canned reports and also flexible reporting facilities
for all the above.

Thanks very much,
Martin