Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/11/07 02:37:41 UTC

WWW Form Bug Report: "persistant queries" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)

I know this feeling...

not acked. Maybe Brian would care to comment on this.

----- Forwarded message from aan@wolfenet.com -----

From: aan@wolfenet.com
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Date: Wed Nov  6 16:16:14 1996
Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "persistant queries" on Solaris 2.x

Submitter: aan@wolfenet.com
Operating system: Solaris 2.x, version:
Version of Apache Used:
Extra Modules used:
URL exhibiting problem: www.razorfish.com

Symptoms:
--
What is the trouble? Is it Netscape or is it your software? Why can't I just click 'no' when asked if I want to accept a cookie and have it end there?

On the Apache site as well, every single page.

The Microsoft site isn't badgering in this way. Some sites are so bad that it asks each time an image is loaded (check out www.razorfist.com for some fun - with 'ask before accepting' turned on)

Ugh!!!!!
--

Backtrace:

----- End of forwarded message from aan@wolfenet.com -----

--
Rob Hartill.       Internet Movie Database Ltd.    http://www.imdb.com/

Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "persistant queries" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
Two things:

1) Netscape should add a button to the dialog box which pops up asking you for
a cookie which says "say no to all from this site".  I'd love to be able to
always say no to doubleclick.net.

2) With Apache 1.2 (which we're working to get out asap), server administrators
can say

  <Files *.gif *.jpg>
  CookieEnable off
  </Files>

And cookie-requesting will be disabled for inlined jpg's and gifs.  In fact one
could take it further and say

  CookieEnable off
  <Files *.html>
  CookieEnable on
  </File>

that way only asking for cookies for HTML pages.  In fact I think I'll go do
that now for apache.org.

One could even do this only on a per-page basis, not just per-filetype, as
"CookieEnable" can be placed in <Directory> containers too.

	Brian