Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> on 2016/05/03 02:43:51 UTC

[VFS] Disallowed dependencies in build? (was Re: [VOTE] Apache Commons-VFS2 2.1 rc0)

Binaries are not an official release anyways.

Even so, that seems like a *very* scary thing to even have this code
checked into the repository if it depends on incompatibly-licensed
software. Am I misunderstanding this?

Re: [VFS] Disallowed dependencies in build? (was Re: [VOTE] Apache Commons-VFS2 2.1 rc0)

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> Am Tue, 03 May 2016 21:47:43 -0400
> schrieb Josh Elser<el...@apache.org>:
>
>> See the original point of me starting this thread: it was stated that
>> the sandbox (might) depend on code which is not licensed in such a
>> manner that is allowed for ASF projects.
>
> Which is why it is not built or shipped by default and called sandbox.
> (this was not my idea and before my time but I dont see a reason to
> change this for this release)
>
> Gruss
> Bernd

I was just pointed to http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional

The way this reads, because we don't push it to Nexus, that's fine.

The other half is that I was (incorrectly) assuming that the src release
was still including the sandbox. This is wrong -- there are no
occurrences of it in release artifacts.

I'm good now :)

Re: [VFS] Disallowed dependencies in build? (was Re: [VOTE] Apache Commons-VFS2 2.1 rc0)

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Bernd--

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.
Hello,

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
sebb wrote:
>> +1 along with someone to own this and do the proper diligence as a PMC
>> >  member to make sure that we're violating policy.
>
> It would be easy to_ensure_  a violation ... !
>
> Since sandbox is not ready for release, for the purpose of getting a
> VFS release out it should be moved to a branch.

lol, oh the missing "not" is pretty good.

Re: [VFS] Disallowed dependencies in build? (was Re: [VOTE] Apache Commons-VFS2 2.1 rc0)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.