Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2018/05/23 12:35:55 UTC

gstreamer status for 4.2.0-dev?

Subj line sez it all... where are we? There was a proposal to make it a run-time dependency but afaict there hasn't been any effort yet it doing that.

I know we have a handful of other things TODO re: 4.2.0 but this seems to be an inflection point for the Linux builds and so I really think we need to resolve this if we have any intent in getting a 4.2.0 beta out in a reasonable time frame.

Re: gstreamer status for 4.2.0-dev?

Posted by Jose R R <jo...@metztli.com>.
Hopefully I will not intrude, but...

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 5:35 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> Subj line sez it all... where are we? There was a proposal to make it a run-time dependency but afaict there hasn't been any effort yet it doing that.

On May 19-20, 2018, I pulled 4.2.0-1 trunk 1831928 and built
OpenOffice with my local build of GCC-5 GNU compiler.
I simply apt- and got
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libgstreamer1.0-dev from Debian
9.x repository for AMD64.

> I know we have a handful of other things TODO re: 4.2.0 but this seems to be an inflection point for the Linux builds and so I really think we need to resolve this if we have any >intent in getting a 4.2.0 beta out in a reasonable time frame.

In my build I experienced no issues opening previous ODT entities nor
creating new ones. On the other hand, after testing a multimedia .mp4
clip (which plays excellently) if I click, i.e., select, an empty area
ApacheOO simply crashes. Here is a small screen recording of the
issue.

< https://metztli.it/blog/index.php/ixiptli/ >

Best Professional Regards.

--
Jose R R
http://metztli.it

Re: gstreamer status for 4.2.0-dev?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 05/30/2018 03:08 PM, Torokhov Sergey wrote:

> 28.05.2018, 20:19, "Kay Schenk" <ka...@gmail.com>:
>
>> This is ONLY for Linux. So, how is multimedia "integrated" in AOO for
>> Mac and Windows? Can someone point us to the applicable code areas for this?
>>
>> I have a feeling gstreamer was integrated long ago when no other
>> multi-media standard/app for Linux existed. Now it seems VLC seems to
>> the standard for the most part. (This is a dated web page but I think
>> it's still a good reference:
>> http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialMimeTypesAndApplications.html).
>> Basically, we are supplying gstreamer as a multimedia app to Linux when
>> maybe this isn't really needed.
> The using of gstreamer multimedia backend of OpenOffice was anounced in Oracle OpenOffice.org 3.4 Beta
> in April 2010 and the first release with it was the Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 in May 2012.
>
> Previously to play multimedia content in OpenOffice the Java Media Framework (JMF) was used
> ( https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Java/Java_Media_Framework ).
> The JMF wasn't updated since 2003 and supported too small amount of formats in contrast to gstreamer.

Thank you for this information, it is useful. I understand the need for
a standardized AV app in some ways, but, assuming an end user's
preferred AV app supports a wide variety of formats, I think it would be
better for AOO (in non-Win, non-Mac) implementations to try to determine
the the end user's AV application, and use that rather than providing a
new AV app. But...a much longer discussion not on this thread.

Re: gstreamer status for 4.2.0-dev?

Posted by Torokhov Sergey <to...@yandex.ru>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Peter. I will investigate.

_______________________
Sent from MzK's phone.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
As I explained in a previous mail, Windows uses DirectShow and Mac uses
QuickTime or MacAVF.

Linux's equivalent of DirectShow is gstreamer. It also builds pipelines of
filters, has codecs, supports embedding into windows, etc.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05.06.2018 um 08:14 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> Those who need to support older versions of Centos with newer versions of Openoffice should come forward and do the work!

also a valid argument. ;-)

Marcus

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Those who need to support older versions of Centos with newer versions of Openoffice should come forward and do the work!

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
That's why the simplest solution is to move to centOS7 for now. We need to debug the gstreamer support too.
Even if it is not important to all users /devs.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06.06.2018 um 21:37 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

>> On Jun 6, 2018, at 3:21 PM, Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 06.06.2018 um 19:21 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>> Let's not focus on CentOS5 vs CentOS6 for now... the issue is that gstreamer-1.0 requires that previously supported Linux OSs and platforms will no longer be supported; that is, our community builds will no longer work for them.
>>
>> sure, it's about the platform we now need to use. When gstreamer is no longer working with the old CentOS5 system, then let's update it.
>>
>> That's what I want to express, not more or less.
>>

> No, it's about what platforms we now provide community binaries for.

I think we talk about the same thing but don't understand each other.
;-) OK, let's go on.

> To be explicit: With the jump to 4.2.x, we will no longer be supporting older Linux platforms that we DID support w/ 4.1.x. This is all about what we change regarding what platforms we provide community builds for (and thus "officially" support). If we say that all Linux platforms that are too old to use gstreamer-1.x (eg: CentOS5, but actually it's a kernel dependency) are no longer officially supported, GREAT. But let's just make sure that is our decision.
>
> I actually thought one of the considerations of this project was to support as many older platforms as possible... if that is NOT the case, then again, we need to make that decision explicitly. WHAT is our backwards compatibility/support roadmap for 4.2.x??

Yes, "as possible". But when our effort is somewhen to high to support
the older things, then move on and leave them behind us. Mostly the
vendor has already given up much earlier. ;-)

But as I'm not a developer I cannot estimate how difficult it is to go
on as it is today.

Marcus

Re: gstreamer status for 4.2.0-dev?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 06.06.2018 um 19:21 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> Let's not focus on CentOS5 vs CentOS6 for now... the issue is that gstreamer-1.0 requires that previously supported Linux OSs and platforms will no longer be supported; that is, our community builds will no longer work for them.

sure, it's about the platform we now need to use. When gstreamer is no
longer working with the old CentOS5 system, then let's update it.

That's what I want to express, not more or less.

> Are we OK with that?
>
> That is the main consideration. Everything else is determined from that decision.
>
> So what say we all?

IMHO Dave had the perfect answer: When someone else needs the old stuff,
then they are free to do the work and deliver patches. (correspondingly)

Marcus

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Just a FYI that CentOS7 does not "officially" support 32bit. It does provide an install image, but there isn't even an EPEL repo for it.

So far, this hasn't been an issue w/ building 4.2.0-dev

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1. I'll start on a CentOS7 VM.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.
After some thinkibg, I agree with Dave. The Distributions affeced should help in supporting the backward compability. We can support and guide through the process.
If we find volunteers it could be a small step back into stronger Linux Distribution support. If no one is interested it saves us complexity, which is also fine.

It would be cool if we write a blog post. We could attach a Forum thread for discussion.
Plus a reach out post to the affected distributions. (I think centOS6 is the only version affected , but I am not sure.)

I try to make time until weekend for a first blog post draft, if we agree on this.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> On Jun 4, 2018, at 6:15 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ​I think we'd need to go up to CentOS7 for gstreamer 1.x. Anyway...point
> taken.

Hmmm... I seem to recall it building on CentOS6. I could be mistaken ;)

Re: gstreamer status for 4.2.0-dev?

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

​

> I just don't like the one "making" that decision... but that's the only
> one I'm qualified to make since that's the only one I'm qualified to adjust
> trunk to represent (that is, pull the gstreamer-0.10 stuff from 4.1.5 and
> reincorporate it into trunk to exist in parallel w/ the new gstreamer-1.x
> stuff in there now).
>
> FWIW, our inability to follow-through on this single issue is quite
> bothersome to me...

> > On May 30, 2018, at 6:19 PM, Torokhov Sergey <to...@yandex.ru>
> wrote:
> >

> > 29.05.2018, 21:30, "Jim Jagielski" <ji...@jagunet.com>:
> >> I think the hope is to continue using CentOS5 for our official AOO
> community builds. If not, then this becomes much easier, but it is, IMO, a
> major policy decision to do that. recall that gstreamer-1.x is incompatible
> w/ CentOS5.
> >>
> >> I have no idea how to do #2 but #1 looks like simple brute force.
> Certainly not elegant but if that's what it takes to get past this holding
> pattern, then that's what we have to do.
> >>

> > Some packages provides builds both for old and new systems.
> > E.g. here ( https://www.onlyoffice.com/en/download-desktop.aspx )
> presented
> > packages both for old Debian and Ubuntu (Debian 7, Ubuntu 12.04 ) and
> their new releases (Debian 8, Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04, 18.04 ).
> >
> > Could it be a solution to prepare separate packages?

MzK

"Less is MORE."

Re: gstreamer status for 4.2.0-dev?

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Torokhov Sergey <to...@yandex.ru>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> On May 28, 2018, at 3:05 AM, Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Imho the gstreamer libs are still the method of choice for doing multimedia.
>
> The current state is that trunk can utilize the gstreamer API 1.0.0
>
> We have the issue not resolved the issue to provide gstreamer for different Distributions. (Main issue: centos6 is to old to support the new gstreamer 1.0.0 API)
> We have 2 suggestions to solve the issue:
> 1) implement 0.1.0 and 1.0.0 API.
> 2) move the implementation into an optional extention.
>
> Both solutions have currently not followed up.

Is anyone able to follow up on these? #2 seems the wiser choice.

Re: gstreamer status for 4.2.0-dev?

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.