Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Pablo Estrada <pa...@google.com> on 2020/01/14 18:39:34 UTC

GSOC announced!

Hello everyone,

As with every year, the Google Summer of Code has been announced[1], so we
can start preparing for it if anyone is interested. It's early in the
process for now, but it's good to prepare early : )

Here are the ASF mentor guidelines[2]. For now, the thing to do is to file
JIRA issues for your projects, and apply the labels "mentor", "gsoc",
"gsoc2020".

When the time comes, the next steps are to join the
mentors@community.apache.org list, and request the PMC for approval of a
project.

My current plan is to have these projects, though these are subject to
change:
- Build Nexmark pipelines for Python SDK (Ismael FYI)
- Azure Blobstore File System for Java & Python

I'll try to keep the dev@ list updated with other steps of the process.
Thanks!
-P.

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
[2] https://community.apache.org/gsoc.html#prospective-asf-mentors-read-this

Re: GSOC announced!

Posted by Can Gencer <ca...@hazelcast.com>.
Hi,

I'd like to also mention that Hazelcast is part of GSoC this year and one
of the proposal ideas we have put forward is to implement the portable
runner for Hazelcast Jet (there is already an "old-style" runner). It's a
good opportunity to understand the internals of a stream processing engine
as well as working with Apache Beam and you will get a lot of
support/mentoring from the Hazelcast Jet team. If anyone is interested, you
can contact me directly also.

See proposal 4 on this page:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/6574602056105984/

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 8:23 PM Rui Wang <ru...@google.com> wrote:

> Hi Xinbin,
>
> that sounds enough to get started. You can get permission on JIRA and then
> assign JIRA that you want to work on to yourself.
>

> -Rui
>
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 1:22 PM Xinbin Huang <bi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rui,
>>
>> Yes, I would like to contribute to Apache Beam, but I don't have a
>> specific topic of interest in mind.
>>
>> I have reviewed some of the issues on JIRA, and would like to work on
>> some of them. I have read through the contributing page
>> https://beam.apache.org/contribute/ and it gives me an idea about the
>> desired workflow. Besides that, are there any other sources I should refer
>> to?
>>
>> I will open a separate email to get permission on JIRA.
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Bin
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 1:16 PM Rui Wang <ru...@google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Xinbin,
>>>
>>> I assume you want to contribute to Apache Beam while you are less
>>> experienced, thus you want to seek for some mentorship?
>>>
>>> This topic was discussed before. I don't think we decided to build a
>>> formal mentorship program for Beam. Instead, would you share your interest
>>> first and then probably we could ask if there are people that know the
>>> topic who can actually mentor?
>>>

>>> -Rui

individuals named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted,
corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.
in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail
transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy
version. -Hazelcast

Re: GSOC announced!

Posted by Rui Wang <ru...@google.com>.
Hi Xinbin,