Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ja...@netcom.no on 2003/04/30 02:24:10 UTC

request for solution, form-based authentication and programmatic authentication

I am developing a web application based on tomcat 4.0 and servlets.
The application utilizes the form-based authentication and JDBCRealm
mechanisms.

The authorization and authentication should work like this:

First-time users seeking access, submits a form containing requested
user name, password and some personal information. This authorizes the
user for later occations (sessions) and grants immediately access.

User authorized on a prior occation (session) seeking access, submits a
login form.

The latter function is handled by the form-based authentication
mechanism.

I can not, however, see a solution for the first function. I.e how to
avoid that the first-time user submits a personal information form and
then submits a login form.

Is there any way to authenticate a user programmatically?
If not is there any other way at all?

In advance, thanks for any contributions,
Jarl Aanonsen
jarla@netcom.no