Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Anuj Shah <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/07 11:58:02 UTC

termInfosIndexDivisor vs termIndexInterval

Hi,

Is someone able to explain the purpose of both these properties. By reading
the documentation I don't understand the benefit of setting the
termIndexInterval on the IndexWriter.

Thanks

Anuj

Re: termInfosIndexDivisor vs termIndexInterval

Posted by mark harwood <ma...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Somewhat historic reasons.
It used to be IndexWriter was the only place you could define this setting
(making it an index-time decision burnt into the index).
The IndexReader option is a relatively newer addition that adds the flexibility
to decide about memory usage whenever you open the index (giving you the luxury
of not having to decide on a sensible interval setting up front)

Cheers
Mark