Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com> on 2005/06/14 21:29:23 UTC

Bayes?

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but noone has responded to my question -

If Bayes is working properly, am I supposed to have a Bayes_ entry in the
X-Spam_Status header info for every email?  I think that's the way it used
to be - Bayes_00 - Bayes_99 etc.  Lately it seems that only the spam emails
have those entries.

What am I missing?  I apologize if this should be obvious, but if it is,
I've messed it and would really like to understand why my setup has changed.
My config is simple - calling spamc from procmail.  Still working well, but
I have less entries in the headers and often no Bayes...  Thanks - John

Re: SOLVED Bayes? (MORE)

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
John Fleming wrote on Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:08:22 -0500:

> I'm not sure I fully understand why the single digit entries allowed BAYES_
> score headers on spam but not ham, but I'm happy to use the multiple scores
> and have all of my BAYES_ entries back.

Hm, just checked our setup and we changed one setting:
score BAYES_99 3.0
We don't have this problem. Are you sure there wasn't something wrong with the
added scores? Apart from that I don't recommend changing much in that area,
certainly not more than one or two scores. We changed 99, because it is so
reliable and a higher setting can grab those spams which otherwise slip thru
right below the threshold.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

SOLVED Re: Bayes? (MORE)

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.
Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Re: Bayes? (MORE)

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.
Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Re: Bayes? (MORE)

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.
>> Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but noone has responded to my question -
>>
>> If Bayes is working properly, am I supposed to have a Bayes_ entry in the
>> X-Spam_Status header info for every email?
> In 3.x, I think you should, but I can't speak with any authority here.
>
> In 2.6x, definitely not. Anything which is at the 50/50 mark won't show
> any
> bayes hits at all for 2.6x users.
>

>>   I think that's the way it used to be - Bayes_00 - Bayes_99 etc.  Lately
>> it seems that only the spam emails
>> have those entries.
>
> Hmm, that's a little odd. You might try hand running some of the messages
> through spamassassin -D and see if the debug gives you any clues.

Sorry, forgot to add -

Running spamassassin NOW results in ONLY the following, and then it hangs:

login as: root
Password:
Last login: Tue Jun 14 15:19:49 2005 from 66.209.225.25
Luke:~# spamassassin -D
debug: SpamAssassin version 3.0.3
debug: Score set 0 chosen.
debug: running in taint mode? yes
debug: Running in taint mode, removing unsafe env vars, and resetting PATH
debug: PATH included '/usr/local/sbin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/local/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/sbin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/sbin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/bin', keeping.
debug: PATH included '/usr/bin/X11', keeping.
debug: Final PATH set to:
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11

and dump magic results in:

dumpmagic
0.000          0          3          0  non-token data: bayes db version
0.000          0      37233          0  non-token data: nspam
0.000          0      60839          0  non-token data: nham
0.000          0     124202          0  non-token data: ntokens
0.000          0 1118109190          0  non-token data: oldest atime
0.000          0 1118782164          0  non-token data: newest atime
0.000          0 1118781255          0  non-token data: last journal sync
atime
0.000          0 1118756260          0  non-token data: last expiry atime
0.000          0     646651          0  non-token data: last expire atime
delta
0.000          0      29477          0  non-token data: last expire
reduction count
#

Any ideas?

Re: Bayes?

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.
>> Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but noone has responded to my question -
>>
>> If Bayes is working properly, am I supposed to have a Bayes_ entry in the
>> X-Spam_Status header info for every email?
> In 3.x, I think you should, but I can't speak with any authority here.
>
> In 2.6x, definitely not. Anything which is at the 50/50 mark won't show
> any
> bayes hits at all for 2.6x users.
>

>>   I think that's the way it used to be - Bayes_00 - Bayes_99 etc.  Lately
>> it seems that only the spam emails
>> have those entries.
>
> Hmm, that's a little odd. You might try hand running some of the messages
> through spamassassin -D and see if the debug gives you any clues.

Here's my headers - SA 3.0.3 on Debian

 autolearn=no version=3.0.3

Perl is 5.8.4 on Debian Stable (Sarge)

spamassassin --lint is OK; Bayes is turned on in local.cf and no recent
changes to that file.

A week or so ago I ran spamassassin -D, and the interesting thing I saw was
that the "Bayes test" (I don't know the specifics of this) worked fine and
came up with a percentage score.

All my caught spam has Bayes headers with high scores, but none of the ham
has any Bayes entries.

Other thoughts?  Tnx - John

Re: Bayes?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.