Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jonathan Mast <jh...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/30 00:58:06 UTC

HELP!!! cannot reach my site!

I restarted tomcat after making some changes and now I my main webpage is
down.  The www.mysite.com returns a blank page.

I didn't touch the code-base of the main website before the restart, that
service, which is on a different host (foo.mysite.com) works fine.

Looking at apache and tomcats logs, i'm getting status code 200 when i
request my homepage, but 0 length content.  It like Tomcat won't write to
replies.  Graphics (which are handled by Apache) are showing > 0 content
length.

All the other hosts on my site are working.  What gives?

Apache 1.3
Tomcat 5.5
Java 1.4.2

RE: HELP!!! cannot reach my site!

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Jonathan Mast [mailto:jhmast.developer@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: HELP!!! cannot reach my site!
>
> I forgot that I had updated (yesterday) the codebase on
> www.mysite.com to use jsp-api.jar and servlet-api.jar

What do you mean by "codebase" in the above?

> After I deleted jsp-api.jar and servlet-api.jar and placed
> servlet.jar back in it worked.

Where do you have these jars?  You really shouldn't have servlet.jar anywhere, and Tomcat already supplies servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar in its common/lib, and you shouldn't put them anywhere else.

> I'm absolutely furious that Tomcat did not say
> (almost) anything in its logs.

I think it's unreasonable to expect any software to diagnose every possible user mistake, including shooting oneself in the foot.

 - Chuck

Re: HELP!!! cannot reach my site!

Posted by Jonathan Mast <jh...@gmail.com>.
Well the I figured it out.  I forgot that I had updated (yesterday) the
codebase on www.mysite.com to use jsp-api.jar and servlet-api.jar., but
hadn't restarted Tomcat at that time.  Previously it was using servlet.jar.
After I deleted jsp-api.jar and servlet-api.jar and placed servlet.jar back
in it worked.

This is a JDK 1.4 issue.  I'm absolutely furious that Tomcat did not say
(almost) anything in its logs.  I'll get back to the almost part tommorrow.
Now thats its fixed I'm gonna try to relax, probably with the help of some
tennessee whiskey ;-)

thanks for replying on a weekend

RE: HELP!!! cannot reach my site!

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: HELP!!! cannot reach my site!

Posted by Yassine <el...@users.sourceforge.net>.
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Jonathan Mast
<jh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I restarted tomcat after making some changes and now I my main webpage is
> down.  The www.mysite.com returns a blank page.

which changes did you made?

> I didn't touch the code-base of the main website before the restart, that
> service, which is on a different host (foo.mysite.com) works fine.
>
> Looking at apache and tomcats logs, i'm getting status code 200 when i
> request my homepage, but 0 length content.  It like Tomcat won't write to
> replies.  Graphics (which are handled by Apache) are showing > 0 content
> length.

i assume you are using apache front of tomcat, are you connection via JK or
are you proxying between both?

> All the other hosts on my site are working.  What gives?
>
> Apache 1.3
> Tomcat 5.5
> Java 1.4.2

what does tomcat's logs says?

Yassine Elassad
Bonn, Germany.
Fon : +49 228 97629355
Mobile : +49 157 74519666

PEACE :
( P ) Positive ( E ) Energy ( A ) Always ( C ) Correct ( E ) Errors.