Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2009/07/30 02:31:31 UTC

ANN: hbase 0.20.0 Release Candidate 1 available for download

The first hbase 0.20.0 release candidate is available for download:

 http://people.apache.org/~stack/hbase-0.20.0-candidate-1/<http://people.apache.org/%7Estack/hbase-0.19.0-candidate-1/>

More than 400 issues have been addressed.  The release notes are available
here: http://su.pr/18zcEO <http://tinyurl.com/8xmyx9>.

HBase 0.20.0 runs on Hadoop 0.20.0.  Alot has changed since 0.19.x including
configuration fundamentals.  Be sure to read the 'Getting Started'
documentation available here:
http://su.pr/211OYP.<http://people.apache.org/%7Estack/hbase-0.19.0-candidate-1/>

If you wish to bring your 0.19.x hbase data forward to 0.20.0, you will need
to run a migration.  See http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/HowToMigrate.
First read the overview and then go to the section, 'From 0.19.x to 0.20.x'.

Should we release this candidate as hbase 0.20.0?  Please vote +1/-1 by
Monday August 3rd.

Yours,
The HBasistas

P.S. 0.20.0 Highlights include:

+ Much improved performance
+ Master is no longer SPOF
+ Rolling restarts -- no need to take down whole cluster updating config. or
making minor upgrades
+ A new, more comprehensive API (The old API is still present but
deprecated)
+ Improved mapreduce connectors
+ New contrib package with updated Transactional HBase (THBase) and Indexed
HBase (ITHBase) as well as a new REST gateway called stargate
+ And, as they say on the radio, "much, much more".

Re: ANN: hbase 0.20.0 Release Candidate 1 available for download

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Andrew is right that a RS is supposed to restart but it's not always
working. The real problem, as it is most of the time, is GC pauses
else there would be no ZK timeouts.

J-D

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
To be clear, release candidate 1 has been sunk.  We'll post a new candidate
after we chat at this weeks' meetup (
http://www.meetup.com/hbaseusergroup/calendar/10950511/).  Its looking like
there are a few more bug fixes that should go in, in particular HBASE-1738
and at least some kind of salve for HBASE-1750 and HBASE-1736.  Meantime,
please keep turning up the issues.

Thanks for your patience,
The HBase Team

Re: ANN: hbase 0.20.0 Release Candidate 1 available for download

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Argument below for a new RC seems good to me.  Let me put up a new RC, one
that disables RS restart and that fixes the documentation issue found by Lei
Wang.
St.Ack

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
There are many small issues with the current RC, but I agree with
Stack that we should get it out ASAP even if it's followed by a minor
rev. It is stable and very very usable. Also peeps are usually aware
that a .0 is always a bit rough on the edges.

So +1

J-D

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Sell <tr...@gmail.com>.
I downloaded rc1, all tests passed, did map reduce imports and exports.
I've also been running trunk stable for a couple of weeks.

+1

~Tim.

Re: hbase 0.20.0 Release Candidate 1 available for download

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Says:

"Processing MSG_REPORT_CLOSE: -ROOT-,,0: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
hfile.block.cache.size must be between 0.0 and 1.0, not > 1.0"

What do you have for this setting?

If what you have is sensible  -- 1.0 > X > 0.0 -- then maybe its a corrupt
hfile.   Look at the server195 log.  Should say which file it was loading at
the time.  Try moving it aside.

St.Ack

Posted by llpind <so...@hotmail.com>.
Yeah.

Hadoop version 0.20.0
HBase version 0.20.0 RC1

Posted by llpind <so...@hotmail.com>.
FYI for others.  After setting the 'hfile.block.cache.size' property it
works.  It was never required in previous versions, and isn't mentioned on
the "Getting Started" page.  I think we need to add this if it is in fact a
requirement.

Thanks

RE: hbase 0.20.0 Release Candidate 1 available for download

Posted by llpind <so...@hotmail.com>.
Still stuck on this issue.

[...]

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Posted by llpind <so...@hotmail.com>.
Does anyone know what could be causing this?

I've tried changing various properties etc.  everything seems to give me the
same error.  I don't even need to migrate my data, I just want to get a
clean version going.

Could my old HDFS causing problems?  I even changed the data directories,
and reformatted.

thanks

Posted by Onur AKTAS <on...@live.com>.

Posted by llpind <so...@hotmail.com>.
Hey onur,

Posted by Onur AKTAS <on...@live.com>.
Hi,

> [...]

> 	at
> org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:864)
> 	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:533)
> 	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:207)
> 	at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:403)
> 	at
> org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:409)
> 	at
> org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:522)
>
> Powered by Jetty://
>

> =============  in the master logs I see the following INFO messages over &
> over:
>
> Processing MSG_REPORT_CLOSE: -ROOT-,,0: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
> hfile.block.cache.size must be between 0.0 and 1.0, not > 1.0

Anılarınızı istediğiniz herkesle çevrimiçi paylaşın.
http://www.microsoft.com/turkiye/windows/windowslive/products/photos-share.aspx?tab=1

Re: hbase 0.20.0 Release Candidate 1 available for download

Posted by lei wang <nu...@gmail.com>.
ok,thanks.
I am so sorry to dual the post.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.