Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2003/07/06 19:03:52 UTC

Re: Proposal: Develop application that provides addresses of clients to other clients on the Internet

In general, Apache only accepts projects with an existing community or at
least sourcebase with the potential to attract a large community.  I would
suggest you start the project and attract a community at
http://sourceforge.net and once you've started that much make a proposal.  A
second path would be to apply to the http://jakarta.apache.org/commons (for
java) or http://commons.apache.org.

-Andy

On 7/6/03 1:23 PM, "Vineet Kumar" <vi...@xyoom.com> wrote:

> I want to propose a new project that enables the Apache Server to provide
> the addresses (IP address and port) of clients (PC, PDA, etc.) to other
> clients on the Internet. This application is somewhat similar to Presence
> Servers available in the market but it goes through firewalls/NATS, and it
> is very light-weight; it only provides the address and leaves the rest to
> the clients for peer-to-peer communication/collaboration/etc. Great for
> mobile person who wants to communicate/collaborate with other people from
> anywhere on the Internet.
>
> Questions:
> -----------
> Is this the right place to develop this project? If not, then is there
> another linux based open software development foundation that is suitable
> for this project?
>
> Status Of Project:
> There is absolutely no code written yet.
>

> Regards,
> vineet
> -------
> Vineet Kumar, Ph.D.