Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org> on 2010/06/19 16:04:02 UTC

[ApacheDS] config partition and Windows path length

Hi guys,

as I setup my new computer I also installed a Windows 7 VM and I tried
to checkout studio and apacheds. I had problems to checkout the
ApacheDS "trunk-with-dependencies" to
C:\Apache\trunk-with-dependencies because we have very long paths, for
example:

apacheds\default-config\src\main\resources\config\ou=config\ou=directoryservice\ads-directoryserviceid=default\ou=partitions\ads-partitionid=example\ou=indexes\ads-indexattributeid=1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.5

I was able to check it out successfully to C:\A so this is not a big
issue for developers.

But we should keep that issue in mind for the Windows installer
package. I think the installed ApacheDS config partition contains
similar long paths. If the user selects a deep install directory then
we may have an issue.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: [ApacheDS] config partition and Windows path length

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Stefan,

On 19 juin 2010, at 16:04, Stefan Seelmann wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> as I setup my new computer I also installed a Windows 7 VM and I tried
> to checkout studio and apacheds. I had problems to checkout the
> ApacheDS "trunk-with-dependencies" to
> C:\Apache\trunk-with-dependencies because we have very long paths, for
> example:
>
> apacheds\default-config\src\main\resources\config\ou=config\ou=directoryservice\ads-directoryserviceid=default\ou=partitions\ads-partitionid=example\ou=indexes\ads-indexattributeid=1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.1.2.5
>
> I was able to check it out successfully to C:\A so this is not a big
> issue for developers.

I remember having such problems a few months ago using the command line (Cygwin).
Using Tortoise SVN solve the issue and I was able to update.

> But we should keep that issue in mind for the Windows installer
> package. I think the installed ApacheDS config partition contains
> similar long paths. If the user selects a deep install directory then
> we may have an issue.

I'm not sure, there will be an issue on installation since the schema partition is not installed by the installer but is expanded by the server itself at first launch.
But, we definitely have to check what happens if the install ApacheDS deep in the filesystem.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [ApacheDS] config partition and Windows path length

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 6/19/10 4:04 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> as I setup my new computer I also installed a Windows 7 VM and I tried
> to checkout studio and apacheds. I had problems to checkout the
> ApacheDS "trunk-with-dependencies" to
> C:\Apache\trunk-with-dependencies because we have very long paths, for
> example:

Have you tried to do :
svn co https://svn.a.o... \\?\c:\Apache\trunk-with-dependencies
?