Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Alex Seriy <al...@pagewire.com> on 2003/04/17 17:22:44 UTC

libstdc++ on RedHat

I just downloaded Xalan 1.4 and Xerces 2.1 (xerces-c2_1_0-linux7.2gcc31)
binaries. I have RH7.2 and RH8 mixed environment. I looks like Xerces
need libdstdc++.so.4 that is not present on either distributions of
RedHat. RH8 comes with libstdc++.so.5 which is part of libstc++ RPM. I
searched through official releases and updates for 7.2 through 8.0, and
also rawhide. I don't seem to find the runtime library. Did anyone have
this problem? Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Alex

Re: libstdc++ on RedHat

Posted by Gareth Reakes <ga...@decisionsoft.com>.
On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Alex Seriy wrote:

> I just downloaded Xalan 1.4 and Xerces 2.1 (xerces-c2_1_0-linux7.2gcc31)
> binaries. I have RH7.2 and RH8 mixed environment. I looks like Xerces
> need libdstdc++.so.4 that is not present on either distributions of
> RedHat. RH8 comes with libstdc++.so.5 which is part of libstc++ RPM. I
> searched through official releases and updates for 7.2 through 8.0, and
> also rawhide. I don't seem to find the runtime library. Did anyone have
> this problem? Any help will be greatly appriciated.

I'm not sure why that build links against that library - though
'linux72gcc31' is a slightly funny combination anyway, since Redhat 7.2
never shipped with GCC 3.1.  It looks like whatever box it was built on
contained a bit of a mix of versions.  Some of our boxes here do happen
have that version of libstdc++ (it allows us to install an oldish rawhide
version of OpenOffice on Redhat 7.3).  Needless to say we try to avoid
doing release builds on those non-standard boxes!

Anyway: http://www.decisionsoft.com/swhite/libstdc++-3.1-7.i386.rpm is a
rawhide RPM from sometime between the 7.3 and 8.0 releases that contains
that library.  Install it with 'rpm -ivh ...' not '-Uvh' to avoid
clobbering the currently installed versions of libstdc++ (this way you
should end up with both installed so applications can use whichever they
were linked against).

If you need anyway other wierd RPMs to satisfy any dependencies shout and
we can probably dig them out :).  Alternatively you might want to rebuild
the Xerces library from source yourself which will avoid the issue.

--
Gareth Reakes, Head of Product Development  +44-1865-203192
DecisionSoft Limited                        http://www.decisionsoft.com