Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2007/12/12 06:35:05 UTC

Indexing Wikipedia dumps

Hi,

I need to index a Wikipedia dump.  I know there is code in contrib/benchmark for indexing *English* Wikipedia for benchmarking purposes.  However, I'd like to index a non-English dump, and I actually don't need it for benchmarking, I just want to end up with a Lucene index.

Any suggestions where I should start?  That is, can anything in contrib/benchmark already do this, or is there anything there that I should use as a starting point?  As opposed to writing my own Wikipedia XML dump parser+indexer.

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Indexing Wikipedia dumps

Posted by Matt Kangas <ka...@gmail.com>.
Otis, if you're willing to use some non-Java code for your task...

1) Wikipedia uses Lucene for their full-text searches, and the module
is part of Mediawiki. You could use this as follows:
- Install Mediawiki
- Load your Wikipedia dump into MW (and MySQL)
- Build a search index for the Lucene Search extension:
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/lucene-search/README.txt?revision=8535&view=markup

2) Alternately, use Mediawiki's native import parser (in PHP) and use
that to feed Solr, etc. The code is a bit hairy, 'tho.
http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/includes/SpecialImport.php?revision=27686&view=markup

--Matt

--
Matt Kangas / kangas@gmail.com

Re: Indexing Wikipedia dumps

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
For a quick java approach, give yourself 3 minutes and try to use
DBSight to access the database. You can simply use "select * from
mw_searchindex" as a starting point. It'll build the index for you.
However, you may need to pluggin your custom analyzer for media wiki's
format(Or maybe not).

--
Chris Lu
-------------------------

Posted by Steven Parkes <st...@esseff.org>.
Probably want a combination of extractWikipedia.alg and wikipedia.alg?

You want the EnwikiDocMaker from extractWikipedia.alg which reads the
uncompressed xml file but rather than using WriteLineDoc, you want to go
ahead and index as wikipedia.alg does. (Ditch the query part.)

You'll need an acceptable analyzer, which StandardAnalyzer might not be.

I haven't actually tried it, but I think very likely the current code
in contrib/benchmark might be able to extract non-English Wikipedia
dump as well?

Have a look at contrib/benchmark/conf/extractWikipedia.alg: I think
if you just change the docs.file to reference your downloaded XML
file it could just work?

Mike

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I put up a patch and would appreciate testing/feedback.  It's not
perfect, but it handles most things, I think.

-Grant

--------------------------
Grant Ingersoll
http://lucene.grantingersoll.com
http://www.lucenebootcamp.com

Lucene Helpful Hints:

Re: Indexing Wikipedia dumps

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcelo Ochoa <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi All:
  Just to add simple hack, I had posted at my Blog an entry named
"Uploading WikiPedia Dumps to Oracle databases":
http://marceloochoa.blogspot.com/2007_12_01_archive.html
  with instructions to upload WikiPedia Dumps to Oracle XMLDB, it
means transforming an XML file to an object-relational storage.
  Finally, I added instructions to index it with Lucene Domain Index.
  Best regards, Marcelo.

On Dec 14, 2007 5:08 AM, Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl> wrote:

> Good pointers, thanks. I asked because I did have a problem like this a few
> months ago -- none of the existing parsers solved it for me (back then).
>
> D.
>

> Petite Abeille wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 13, 2007, at 8:39 AM, Dawid Weiss wrote:
> >
> >> Just incidentally -- do you know of something that would parse the
> >> wikipedia markup (to plain text, for example)?
> >
> > If you find out, let us know :)
> >
> > You may want to check the partial ANTLR grammar for Wikitext:
> >
> > http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Stevage/ANTLR
> > http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitext-l/2007-December/000117.html
> >
> > This also might be of interest:
> >
> > http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/~ttsiod/buildWikipediaOffline.html
> >
> > "the nice people over at woc.fslab.de have created a standalone
> > wiki-markup parser which is ready for use"
> > http://fslab.de/svn/wpofflineclient/trunk/mediawiki_sa
> > There is also Text::MediawikiFormat:
> > http://search.cpan.org/~dprice/Text-MediawikiFormat-0.05/lib/Text/MediawikiFormat.pm
> >
> > Perhaps you will be better off processing the Wikipedia static HTML
> > dump, instead of the XML one:
> > http://static.wikipedia.org/
> > Not a piece of cake one way or another :(
> > Cheers,
> > PA.

Marcelo F. Ochoa

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

Posted by Petite Abeille <pe...@mac.com>.

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Andy Goodell <ag...@discoverymining.com>.
My firm uses a parser based on javax.xml.stream.XMLStreamReader to
break (english and nonenglish) wikipedia xml dumps into lucene-style
"documents and fields."  We use wikipedia to test our
language-specific code, so we've probably indexed 20 wikipedia dumps.

- andy g

Posted by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
12 dec 2007 kl. 06.35 skrev Otis Gospodnetic:

> I need to index a Wikipedia dump.  I know there is code in contrib/
> benchmark for indexing *English* Wikipedia for benchmarking
> purposes.  However, I'd like to index a non-English dump, and I
> actually don't need it for benchmarking, I just want to end up with
> a Lucene index.
>
> Any suggestions where I should start?  That is, can anything in
> contrib/benchmark already do this, or is there anything there that I
> should use as a starting point?  As opposed to writing my own
> Wikipedia XML dump parser+indexer.

Here is one more alternative, the way I did it way back.

Get the tarballs containing rendered HTML. Using NekoHTML (or so) find
the DOM-node that contains the text content. And there you go, plain
text.

--
karl