Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2004/07/16 13:30:40 UTC

Re: esql+xsp or sqltransformer? which one to use? which one is "better"?

Joose

As always in the computing world, its hard to pin
down "best" or "right"... and developers are always
opinionated people, each convinced of his/her way!

>From what I can see (as a non-core member), XSP
was created as a 'general purpose' tool to handle a
variety of situations in the early days of Cocoon. Many
people do not like because it mixes markup and logic,
often making it harder to maintain.  It been implied that
XSP is deprecated, meaning the developers will not add
to its functionality.  Why?  Most of the functions can be
more 'cleanly' handled by SQLTransformer, JXtemplate,
flowscript and so on.   These tools tend to help integrate
lots of bits, each of which can be maintained on its own.

>From a practical point of view, I just rewrote a small
reporting app that I first did in XSP, using the technologies
outlined above, and I can see it worked, and worked well.
Its also more flexible and easier to change "bits", and the
total code length is a lot smaller.  I am not saying this will
be true for all apps, so I am sure there is a case for XSP
in some situations... but the evolution of the various
generators and transformers now available in Cocoon,
that were not available when XSP was created, means that
you should start really looking at the new tools to do this type
of work.

HTH

Derek

>>> joose@iki.fi 2004/07/16 12:42:49 PM >>>
Hi,

which one should be used to for what use? SQLTransformer or ESQL+XSP?
and why? or does it matter?

I once saw someone saying sqltransformer should be used and not
esql+xsp combination...

I have so far used only XSP+ESQL combination, but I started to think,
should I start using SQLTransformer?

- Joose

--
"Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else!"
* http://iki.fi/joose/ * joose@iki.fi * +358 44 561 0270 *

believed to be clean.