Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steven Hsu <hs...@dc-energy.com> on 2006/07/06 16:26:24 UTC

svnserve and global configuration file

Is the global configuration file (the one located in
/etc/subversion/config) used only be the command-line 'svn' client?  Is
there any way to get svnserve to use this file?

I am wondering (like many others before, I see from the archives) how to
automatically set the Subversion keyword properties of files that are
added to the repository.  Is the best way to do this really by
configuring each client's config file?  I'm thinking of doing a hook
script to automatically add the keyword when necessary.  Has anyone had
success with this?

Thanks,
Steven

Re: svnserve and global configuration file

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 7/6/06, Steven Hsu <hs...@dc-energy.com> wrote:
> Is the global configuration file (the one located in
> /etc/subversion/config) used only be the command-line 'svn' client?  Is
> there any way to get svnserve to use this file?

No, since svnserve doesn't pay attention to anything in that config
file it would be nonsensical anyway.

> I am wondering (like many others before, I see from the archives) how to
> automatically set the Subversion keyword properties of files that are
> added to the repository.  Is the best way to do this really by
> configuring each client's config file?  I'm thinking of doing a hook
> script to automatically add the keyword when necessary.  Has anyone had
> success with this?

It's not that it's the best way, it's that it's the only way.  Using a
hook script to add such keywords is not just a bad idea, it's actually
dangerous, it means you'd end up with a working copy that is out of
sync with what's actually in the repository because there's no way to
tell the client that the properties were changed during the commit
process, which would likely eventually lead to weird hard to debug
errors.

So currently, you're stuck making sure your clients have the correct config.

-garrett