Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Vincent Starre <vs...@comcast.net> on 2005/10/12 19:57:02 UTC

Request: way to get -rBASE with keywords expanded without using the network

"svn cat -rBASE" uses the network. Sometimes, I might want that. Not
today! :)

So in order to mimick that, without using the network, I had to do this:

~/bin/svnReview:
svn diff "$1" --diff-cmd ~/bin/svnReviewDiff -x "$1" | sed '1,2{d;}'

~/bin/svnReviewDiff:
diff "$7" "$1" | patch -o/dev/stdout "$6" | sed '1d'

$ svnReview file.c

what that's doing:
svn cat uses the network, svn diff does not. So I use svn diff to get
the actual file, passing my one-liner as a --diff-cmd
BUT, svn diff doesnt generate diffs by expanding the keywords in base,
it does so by /removing/ keywords from the modified copy (highly sloppy
way to behave, imo)
So we apply the difference between the modified file and the modified
file with keywords removed, to the base file. Presto: the simplest
imaginable operation made needlessly complex, and I didnt need to wait 3
seconds for the network to do its thing in order to get it.

come on, there needs to be a better way than that :)

Re: Request: way to get -rBASE with keywords expanded without using the network

Posted by Stephen Davis <st...@mac.com>.
On Oct 12, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Vincent Starre wrote:

> "svn cat -rBASE" uses the network. Sometimes, I might want that.
> Not today! :)

This was true pre-1.2.2 (?) but I think it was fixed in 1.2.3.  Which
version are you running?

stephen

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
Vincent Starre <vs...@comcast.net> wrote on 10/12/2005 03:57:02 PM:

> "svn cat -rBASE" uses the network. Sometimes, I might want that. Not
> today! :)

As of 1.2 it does not use the network.

From: http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/CHANGES

    * fixed: 'svn cat -rBASE' contacts repository (issue #1361)

Mark