Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Eugen Kuleshov <an...@hco.kollegienet.dk> on 2000/03/25 23:25:46 UTC

Tomcat and Apache 2.0 alpha

Hello!

  It is possible to run Tomcat with Apache 2.0 alpha?

  Eugen Kuleshov.

Re: Tomcat and Apache 2.0 alpha

Posted by Eugen Kuleshov <an...@hco.kollegienet.dk>.
Gal Shachor wrote:

> >  Ok.
> >  \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\jni_connect\*
> >  \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape\jk_service.h and .c
> >  \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape\jk_util.h and .c
> >  \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape\jk_pool.h and .c
> >   that is all what I need to build JNI connector for Apache?
>  Actually no, you will also need to work with jk_jni_worker.c. And this
> means working with the rest of the jk library. Working with the jk
> library requires you to write a single server dependent file that
> is going to redirect requests to the jk library based in the
> interfaces defined in jk_service.h. I guess that this is what
> Costin (I am too) is postponing right now...

  Heh. Maybe you can tell for how long?

> >   Are you (I mean Tomkat team) going to provide Tomcat connector for
> > IBM's Internet Connection Server (aka LotusGO, aka WTE)?
> What is WTE?

  Web Traffic Express. It's web caching proxy based on IBM Internet
Connection Server (ICS) core like LotusGO based on it.

> anyway, I do not see anyone working on LotusGO. Knowing
> this
> server; having a jk module for it should be really easy but is in a low
> priority for now.

  I see. This server hace ICSAPI looks like NCSAPI

> I guess that in the next version most of the current committers are
> going
> to focus on Apache 2.0 integration, Apache ease-of-use, improved Tomcat
> and new Tomcat features...
> >   This one not necessary now?
> No it is not (for jk_).

  Ok. Thank you wery much.

Posted by Gal Shachor <sh...@il.ibm.com>.

Eugen Kuleshov wrote:

>  Ok.
>  \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\jni_connect\*
>  \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape\jk_service.h and .c
>  \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape\jk_util.h and .c
>  \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape\jk_pool.h and .c
>
>   that is all what I need to build JNI connector for Apache?

 Actually no, you will also need to work with jk_jni_worker.c. And this
means
working with the rest of the jk library. Working with the jk library
requires
you to write a single server dependent file that is going to redirect
requests
to the jk library based in the interfaces defined in jk_service.h.

I guess that this is what Costin (I am too) is postponing right now...

>   Are you (I mean Tomkat team) going to provide Tomcat connector for
> IBM's Internet Connection Server (aka LotusGO, aka WTE)?

What is WTE? anyway, I do not see anyone working on LotusGO. Knowing
this
server; having a jk module for it should be really easy but is in a low
priority
for now.

I guess that in the next version most of the current committers are
going
to focus on Apache 2.0 integration, Apache ease-of-use, improved Tomcat
and new Tomcat features...

>   This one not necessary now?

No it is not (for jk_).

	Gal Shachor

Re: Tomcat and Apache 2.0 alpha

Posted by Eugen Kuleshov <an...@hco.kollegienet.dk>.
Costin Manolache wrote:

> > > It will work with Apache 2.0 - probably. Gal's code works with IIS and NES,
> > > I see no reason to not work fine with Apache 2.0 and even Apache 1.3.x on
> > > Win.
> >   What I need for build it?
> >   Just \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\jni_connect ?
> >   or several files from \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape is
> > necessary too (jk_service.h jk_util.h jk_pool.h and *.c files)?
> Right now you can use IIS and NES with JNI - Apache code is not yet
> in.

 Ok.
 \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\jni_connect\*
 \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape\jk_service.h and .c
 \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape\jk_util.h and .c
 \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape\jk_pool.h and .c

  that is all what I need to build JNI connector for Apache?

  Are you (I mean Tomkat team) going to provide Tomcat connector for
IBM's Internet Connection Server (aka LotusGO, aka WTE)?

> >   And what is
> > \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\apache\connector\connection_jni.c ?
> Some old code - it's not working, used to work but need to be  updated to
> support tomcat. It's have some usefull code inside, but Gal's code is much
> better right now.

  This one not necessary now?

> > > The only stoppers are the 3.1 release ( since all effort should go into
> > > fixing bugs ) and Apache 2.0 (lack of) support for DSO.
> >   Apache 2.0 haven't yet support DSO? Or it's just bug?
> There are compilation problems, probably not very hard to fix but require
> some hacking.

  Ok. Thank you.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@eng.sun.com>.
> > >   I also interesting for JNI conector (Apache and Tomcat communication
> > > without TCP). Is it works now?
> >
> > It will work with Apache 2.0 - probably. Gal's code works with IIS and NES,
> > I see no reason to not work fine with Apache 2.0 and even Apache 1.3.x on
> > Win.
>
>   What I need for build it?
>   Just \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\jni_connect ?
>   or several files from \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape is
> necessary too (jk_service.h jk_util.h jk_pool.h and *.c files)?

Right now you can use IIS and NES with JNI - Apache code is not yet
in.

>   And what is
> \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\apache\connector\connection_jni.c ?

Some old code - it's not working, used to work but need to be  updated to
support tomcat. It's have some usefull code inside, but Gal's code is much
better right now.

> > The only stoppers are the 3.1 release ( since all effort should go into
> > fixing bugs ) and Apache 2.0 (lack of) support for DSO.
>
>   Apache 2.0 haven't yet support DSO? Or it's just bug?

There are compilation problems, probably not very hard to fix but require
some hacking.

Costin

Re: Tomcat and Apache 2.0 alpha

Posted by Eugen Kuleshov <an...@hco.kollegienet.dk>.
Costin Manolache wrote:

> > > Not yet, I'm working on it - I have most of the code ( using Gal's code
> > > base, which is already working in threaded environment - IIS and NES),
> > > but I have tons of problems compiling Apache 2.0 with DSO support (
> > > needed in order to build our code as standalone module ).
> > > I'll check in the code after the release, I have no time before that.
> >   I also interesting for JNI conector (Apache and Tomcat communication
> > without TCP). Is it works now?
>
> It will work with Apache 2.0 - probably. Gal's code works with IIS and NES,
> I see no reason to not work fine with Apache 2.0 and even Apache 1.3.x on
> Win.

  What I need for build it?
  Just \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\jni_connect ?
  or several files from \jakarta-tomcat\src\native\iis_netscape is
necessary too (jk_service.h jk_util.h jk_pool.h and *.c files)?

  And what is
\jakarta-tomcat\src\native\apache\connector\connection_jni.c ?

/* Incomplete, doesn't compile - initial code to
   support embedded JVM and "direct" communication */

  Here are some unimplemented functions (methods): embjava_jlog,
embjava_trace, embjava_module, embjava_getJavaVM

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@eng.sun.com>.

Posted by Eugen Kuleshov <an...@hco.kollegienet.dk>.

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@eng.sun.com>.