Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/06 17:53:23 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-186: Increase offsets retention default to 7 days

looks like VOTE thread is started for this KIP.

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
Reviving this thread.

@Stevo I think there are more refinements we can make, but I'd like to get
at least this pushed through because this keeps biting people unexpectedly.
How about we bump the default now just to address the immediate issue and
we can follow up with additional refinements in future KIPs?

It's also worth pointing out we also have
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-211%3A+Revise+Expiration+Semantics+of+Consumer+Group+Offsets.
That KIP dovetails nicely with this one -- this addresses the immediate
problem but can still expire offsets while the group is still active (which
is probably unintuitive). However, even if/when KIP-211 makes it in, this
will simply extend the period of the group being empty before removing
offsets to 7 days by default. This is still a significant improvement since
it helps with, e.g., cases where you have an outage and need to debug and
it takes longer than 24h. 1w is still a much better default even in the
case we wait for the group to be inactive before starting the expiration
timer.

I've also updated the KIP with the trivial PR:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4648

I'm going to kick off the vote thread so we can get this fixed for the next
version.

-Ewen

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the KIP.

bq. introducing offsets.retention.hours config property

Probably the introduction would cause confusion among users due to the
existing minutes config.