Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by web service <wb...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/15 06:47:03 UTC

Small linux distros to run hadoop ?

Hi,
   what is the smallest linux system/distros to run hadoop ? I would want to
run small linux vms and run jobs on them.

-mac

Re: Small linux distros to run hadoop ?

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Hi,

2011/4/15 web service <wb...@gmail.com>:
>    what is the smallest linux system/distros to run hadoop ? I would want to
> run small linux vms and run jobs on them.

I usually use a fully stripped CentOS 5 to run cluster nodes. Works
perfectly and can be fully automated using the kickstart scripting for
anaconda (= Redhat installer).

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Niels Basjes

Re: Small linux distros to run hadoop ?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Anything that can comfortably run a JRE would do. I believe most use
Ubuntu VMs but really, any fairly-modern-distro should suffice.

My personal favorite would be ArchLinux (cause am comfortable on that).

--
Harsh J