Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/12 02:22:05 UTC

Re: [nuttx] Apache and BSD license compatibility

I just noticed that this conversation was occurring on
nuttx@googlegroups.com.  Not sure how we got there.  Moving back to
dev@nuttx.apache.org where I thought we were all along.
>> There is one big difference.  I have spoken (via email) with all of the authors and copyright holders and each has given their support and encouragement to bring the code into NuttX.
> Is being developing a branch of Nutt is one obvious one. Sure if you want go and merge it but at some point before graduation it will need to be sorted.

Yes, this is a custom port that was developed specifically for use in
NuttX.  The primary authors of the port are Peter Van Der Perk (NXP) and
myself and is based on a common SocketCAN core stack by Oliver Hartkopp
(VW): "... that's a cool idea and I definitely support your idea to
support SocketCAN for NuttX!"  I have worked through this with all
players include Peter's supervisor.

Corporate legal is the bottleneck.  I doubt that corporate legal sees
any benefit to the corporation by conforming to ASF expectations.  I
think they believe that the BSD license is sufficient.

I will start looking into what is needed to re-verify the branch and
merge it into master next week after we branch off for the 9.1 release.

It will be so good to have this resolved.  Thanks for your help.

Greg

Re: [nuttx] Apache and BSD license compatibility

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> I just noticed that this conversation was occurring on
> nuttx@googlegroups.com.  Not sure how we got there.  Moving back to
> dev@nuttx.apache.org where I thought we were all along.
>>> There is one big difference.  I have spoken (via email) with all of
>>> the authors and copyright holders and each has given their support
>>> and encouragement to bring the code into NuttX.
>> Is being developing a branch of Nutt is one obvious one. Sure if you
>> want go and merge it but at some point before graduation it will need
>> to be sorted.
>
> Yes, this is a custom port that was developed specifically for use in
> NuttX.  The primary authors of the port are Peter Van Der Perk (NXP)
> and myself and is based on a common SocketCAN core stack by Oliver
> Hartkopp (VW): "... that's a cool idea and I definitely support your
> idea to support SocketCAN for NuttX!"  I have worked through this with
> all players include Peter's supervisor.
>
> Corporate legal is the bottleneck.  I doubt that corporate legal sees
> any benefit to the corporation by conforming to ASF expectations.  I
> think they believe that the BSD license is sufficient.
>
> I will start looking into what is needed to re-verify the branch and
> merge it into master next week after we branch off for the 9.1 release.
>
> It will be so good to have this resolved.  Thanks for your help

I have been discussing the merge with Peter off line.  I think he plans
to submit another PR instead of using the branch.  I am not sure yet but
I hope that does not make things more complex.

There will also be a PR against inclubator-nuttx-apps that beings in
some SocketCAN tools.  There are specially wrapped for use by NuttX but
have the same dual licensed VW code within the wrapping.

Some references:

- Freshly re-verified SocketCAN code:
https://github.com/PetervdPerk-NXP/incubator-nuttx/tree/SocketCAN

- netlib integration:
https://github.com/PetervdPerk-NXP/nuttx-apps-testing/commit/1708c7ed8dcbbc08a2e64623015cd0a1815da993

- candump port:
https://github.com/PetervdPerk-NXP/nuttx-apps-testing/tree/master/canutils/candump

- There may also be a demo example later based on more dual license code
from: https://github.com/linux-can/can-utils  TBD

Greg

Re: [nuttx] Apache and BSD license compatibility

Posted by Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>.
I'm sorry about using the wrong address, that was my mistake.

Justin, thanks for the quick response about the BSD-licensed code. That
sounds workable. When I get close to implementation I'll send an email here
(to the right list!) to give an update on how it would work.

cheers
adam

--
Adam Feuer <ad...@starcat.io>