Posted to rpc-dev@xml.apache.org by Rick Johnston <RR...@symantec.com> on 2002/02/25 19:20:28 UTC

Netscape browser/applet problem with SSL

I've just had to deal with a problem peculiar to Netscape browsers running
an applet using XMLRPC.  It is apparently a known problem that applets
(we're using JRE 1.3.1 via the plug-in) on most versions of Netscape
browsers don't send reliable HTTP header information when using an SSL
connection (it's okay via non-SSL).  I was getting "invalid content-length"
errors at the Apache server (before the request even reached the servlet
running in Tomcat).  By removing the line that sets the content-length in
XmlRpcClient.Worker.execute(), the problem was resolved and requests are
accepted by the Apache server (see below).

                    URLConnection con = url.openConnection();
                    con.setDoInput(true);
                    con.setDoOutput(true);
                    con.setUseCaches(false);
                    con.setAllowUserInteraction(false);
<                    con.setRequestProperty("Content-Length",
<             Integer.toString(request.length));
                    con.setRequestProperty("Content-Type", "text/xml");

But I'm wondering if this is the best solution, or if anyone else might
have a more elegant (or reliable?) solution.  Any suggestions?

Rick

Re: Netscape browser/applet problem with SSL

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
"Rick Johnston" <RR...@symantec.com> writes:

> I've just had to deal with a problem peculiar to Netscape browsers running
> an applet using XMLRPC.  It is apparently a known problem that applets
> (we're using JRE 1.3.1 via the plug-in) on most versions of Netscape
> browsers don't send reliable HTTP header information when using an SSL
> connection (it's okay via non-SSL).  I was getting "invalid content-length"
> errors at the Apache server (before the request even reached the servlet
> running in Tomcat).  By removing the line that sets the content-length in
> XmlRpcClient.Worker.execute(), the problem was resolved and requests are
> accepted by the Apache server (see below).
>
>                     URLConnection con = url.openConnection();
>                     con.setDoInput(true);
>                     con.setDoOutput(true);
>                     con.setUseCaches(false);
>                     con.setAllowUserInteraction(false);
> <                    con.setRequestProperty("Content-Length",
> <             Integer.toString(request.length));
>                     con.setRequestProperty("Content-Type", "text/xml");
>
> But I'm wondering if this is the best solution, or if anyone else might
> have a more elegant (or reliable?) solution.  Any suggestions?

Don't have a suggestion, but have recently learned that this is
against the spec <http://www.xml-rpc.com/spec>.

Re: Netscape browser/applet problem with SSL

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.