Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu> on 2003/09/01 08:18:39 UTC

apr_file_namedpipe_create()

What are people's feelings about apr_file_namedpipe_create()?  It is only
implemented on Unix.  OS/2 and Netware have "implementations", but only in
the sense that the function exists.  It returns APR_ENOTIMPL.  Win32
doesn't even seem to have that much.

Sander tells me that Win32 actually does have /some/ sort of NamedPipe
functionality, but the API is apparently different.  I don't know how
different exactly.

I remember all of this being discussed on this list at some point in the
very very distant past, but... it obviously didn't get us too far.
Further comments?

--Cliff

Re: apr_file_namedpipe_create()

Posted by Justin Kirby <ju...@openaether.org>.
At the very least a big flashing neon sign should be posted next to
functions that are not implemented on all platforms.

Justin

--
Justin Kirby <ju...@openaether.org>
OpenAether

Re: apr_file_namedpipe_create()

Posted by Brian Havard <br...@kheldar.apana.org.au>.
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 02:18:39 -0400 (EDT), Cliff Woolley wrote:

>What are people's feelings about apr_file_namedpipe_create()?  It is only
>implemented on Unix.  OS/2 and Netware have "implementations", but only in
>the sense that the function exists.  It returns APR_ENOTIMPL.  Win32
>doesn't even seem to have that much.
>
>Sander tells me that Win32 actually does have /some/ sort of NamedPipe
>functionality, but the API is apparently different.  I don't know how
>different exactly.
>
>I remember all of this being discussed on this list at some point in the
>very very distant past, but... it obviously didn't get us too far.
>Further comments?

Named pipes work rather differently on Win32 & OS/2 (don't know what
Netware has). They don't live in the file system like they do on unix, they
only exist while there is a server process running bound to the pipe much
like a TCP listening port. They even work across a network.

This is why I wrote "interface not suitable" in the OS/2 code as the
apr_file_namedpipe_create() parameters assume a file system based named
pipe.