Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robert Guthrie <rg...@pobox.com> on 2004/03/01 18:26:26 UTC

Berkely db 4.2 + apr-util: Almost There!

I've compiled Berkely db, created symbolic links as suggested, patched
the subersion-included apr-util/configure script, added the Berkeley/lib
directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and run subversion's "./configure
--with-berkeley-db=/path/to/BerkelyDB4.2 --with-dbm=db42".  It seems to
know where to look now, but I don't think it's finding the libraries.
Here's the last of the ./configure output:

checking checking for Berkeley DB 4.2 in /tmp/subversion/BerkeleyDB.4.2...
checking db4/db.h usability... no
checking db4/db.h presence... no
checking for db4/db.h... no
checking db.h usability... yes
checking db.h presence... yes
checking for db.h... yes
checking for db-4.2... no
checking db4/db.h usability... no
checking db4/db.h presence... no
checking for db4/db.h... no
checking db.h usability... yes
checking db.h presence... yes
checking for db.h... yes
checking for db4... no
checking db4/db.h usability... no
checking db4/db.h presence... no
checking for db4/db.h... no
checking db.h usability... yes
checking db.h presence... yes
checking for db.h... yes
checking for db... no
configure: error: Berkeley db4 not found
configure failed for apr-util

Note that I'm trying to install without Apache.  Here is the output of
find BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib BerkeleyDB.4.2/include/ BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/
BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib
BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/libdb-4.2.a
BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/libdb-4.2.la
BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/libdb-4.2.so
BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/libdb-4.so@
BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/libdb.a
BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/libdb.la@
BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/libdb.so@
BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/libdb4.a@
BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/libdb4.la@
BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib/libdb4.so@
BerkeleyDB.4.2/include/
BerkeleyDB.4.2/include/db.h
BerkeleyDB.4.2/include/db_cxx.h
BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/
BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/db_archive
BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/db_checkpoint
BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/db_deadlock
BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/db_dump
BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/db_load
BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/db_printlog
BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/db_recover
BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/db_stat
BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/db_upgrade
BerkeleyDB.4.2/bin/db_verify

All of the file marked with "@" symbols are symbolic links to the
corresponding real file.

Any hints as to why it's not finding whatever it's looking for?

Re: Berkely db 4.2 + apr-util: Almost There!

Posted by Robert Guthrie <rg...@pobox.com>.
Nathan Kidd wrote:

> Well, you could always try building APR from apache. :)

Yeah, I could if I hated myself a lot more-- I don't have access to root
(no password, BOFH), and even he was inclined to help me, it's against
policy to install web servers on certain machines. Paranoid bastards.  ;)

So, to build Apache is just going to involve more headache; I'm betting
from my attempts at configuring the HEAD version of apr-util, the Apache
source requires lots of standard GNU build utilities, like autoconf, m4,
etc...  I just don't have the energy to go through build-dependency hell
right now.

Re: Berkely db 4.2 + apr-util: Almost There!

Posted by Nathan Kidd <na...@hummingbird.com>.
Robert Guthrie wrote:

> Nathan Kidd wrote:
>>
>> Try starting from a completely clean build tree.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but no dice.

Well, you could always try building APR from apache. :)

Below are the rough notes I made for myself when I did it.

-Nathan

* build and install BerkeleyDB 4.2, SWIG 1.3, neon 0.24.4 to default
locations

# Apache

tar xfz httpd-2.0.48.tar.gz
cd httpd-2.0.48

Follow instructions at:
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#linux-bdb42-build
to patch srclib/apr-util/configure from the 2.0.48 apache tarball.

CFLAGS=-I/usr/kerberos/include ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2
--enable-auth-digest --enable-deflate --enable-mime-magic
--enable-usertrack --enable-proxy --enable-proxy-http --enable-ssl
--enable-dav --enable-info --enable-suexec --enable-dav-fs
--enable-speling --enable-rewrite --enable-so --with-dbm=db42
--with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2 --enable-maintainer-mode

make; su; make install

# Subversion

tar xfj subversion-1.0.0.tar.bz2
cd subversion-1.0.0
./configure --with-neon=/usr/local
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
--with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2 --with-editor=vi
--with-zlib --with-ssl --enable-maintainer-mode
--with-apr=../httpd-2.0.48/srclib/apr
--with-apr-util=../httpd-2.0.48/srclib/apr-util

make; su; make install

Re: Berkely db 4.2 + apr-util: Almost There!

Posted by Robert Guthrie <rg...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Nathan Kidd <na...@hummingbird.com>.
Robert Guthrie wrote:

> I've compiled Berkely db, created symbolic links as suggested, patched
> the subersion-included apr-util/configure script, added the Berkeley/lib
> directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and run subversion's "./configure
> --with-berkeley-db=/path/to/BerkelyDB4.2 --with-dbm=db42".  It seems to
> know where to look now, but I don't think it's finding the libraries.
> Here's the last of the ./configure output:
>
> checking checking for Berkeley DB 4.2 in /tmp/subversion/BerkeleyDB.4.2...
> checking db4/db.h usability... no
> checking db4/db.h presence... no
> checking for db4/db.h... no
> checking db.h usability... yes
> checking db.h presence... yes
> checking for db.h... yes
> checking for db-4.2... no
> checking db4/db.h usability... no
> checking db4/db.h presence... no
> checking for db4/db.h... no
> checking db.h usability... yes
> checking db.h presence... yes
> checking for db.h... yes
> checking for db4... no
> checking db4/db.h usability... no
> checking db4/db.h presence... no
> checking for db4/db.h... no
> checking db.h usability... yes
> checking db.h presence... yes
> checking for db.h... yes
> checking for db... no
> configure: error: Berkeley db4 not found
> configure failed for apr-util
<SNIP>
Any hints as to why it's not finding whatever it's looking for?

I just finished doing similar (but building APR in apache) on a RH9 box
and got the same error.  I rm -rf'ed the whole httpd build tree and
unpacked the fresh tar, re-applied the srclib/apr-util/configure patch,
and ran configure again: it worked.

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Robert Guthrie wrote:
> I've compiled Berkely db, created symbolic links as suggested, patched
> the subersion-included apr-util/configure script, added the Berkeley/lib
> directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and run subversion's "./configure
> --with-berkeley-db=/path/to/BerkelyDB4.2 --with-dbm=db42".  It seems to
> know where to look now, but I don't think it's finding the libraries.
> Here's the last of the ./configure output:

Did you try just "--with-berkeley-db=/path/to/BerkelyDB4.2" and not the other?
Since the patched code will now be able to notice 4.2 if it is available, you
may not need to also specify "--with-dbm=db42" at all.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Berkely db 4.2 + apr-util: Almost There!

Posted by Robert Guthrie <rg...@pobox.com>.
terry@eatoni.com wrote:

> You exported LD_LIBRARY_PATH, right?

Yeah, I double-checked it's value, and re-exported to be sure.

Re: Berkely db 4.2 + apr-util: Almost There!

Posted by te...@eatoni.com.

Robert> I've compiled Berkely db, created symbolic links as suggested,
Robert> patched the subersion-included apr-util/configure script,
Robert> added the Berkeley/lib directory to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and run
Robert> subversion's "./configure
Robert> --with-berkeley-db=/path/to/BerkelyDB4.2 --with-dbm=db42".  It
Robert> seems to know where to look now, but I don't think it's
Robert> finding the libraries.  Here's the last of the ./configure
Robert> output:

You exported LD_LIBRARY_PATH, right?