Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by muji <fr...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/11 05:40:23 UTC

ANN: rlx(1) - Couchdb command line interface

Hello,

I am pleased to announce rlx[1], a full-featured command line interface for
couchdb:

npm i -g rlx && rlx i

Will launch an interactive session. Documentation is built in as man pages
with the `help` command - note that to edit documents `vim` is required.

It was built and tested against couchdb 1.6.x and if people find it useful
I could contribute some more time for couchdb 2.x compatibility.

All feedback very welcome - especially bugs[2]!

Relax and enjoy!

[1]: https://github.com/tmpfs/rlx
[2]: https://github.com/tmpfs/rlx/issues

Re: ANN: rlx(1) - Couchdb command line interface

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Muji,

Its great that you want to help. NMO is part of the Apache foundation. So we have to use JIRA for it. Here is a list of open issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-2810?jql=component%20%3D%20nmo%20AND%20project%20%3D%20COUCHDB%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-2810?jql=component%20=%20nmo%20AND%20project%20=%20COUCHDB%20AND%20resolution%20=%20Unresolved%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC>

I’ve added two more that I would love some help on, They are the upload a file (COUCHDB-2936) and fast enable cors (COUCHDB-2935). If you need help you are welcome to email the dev@ list or reach out to me (garren) or Robert (robertkowalski) in the #couchdb-dev irc.
Also here is the full docs for nmo to give you an idea of how the commands work http://robertkowalski.github.io/nmo/ <http://robertkowalski.github.io/nmo/>

Cheers
Garren

Posted by muji <fr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Garren!

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Muji,

Posted by muji <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
Hi muji,

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
Hi muji,

Posted by muji <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the message. I am glad you are enjoying it so far :)

The *app* functionality came from a desire to separate the elements of
design documents into a more structured approach and eventually came to
include database documents (and attachments) as well; so in effect it can
represent an entire *application*. Re-reading the man page I can see the
documentation needs improving, I have raised #5 (
https://github.com/tmpfs/rlx/issues/5).

Probably the easiest thing to do to get a grasp on it, is to browse the
test fixture:

https://github.com/tmpfs/rlx/tree/master/test/fixtures/app

I will try to expand more on this with some updated documentation. You may
also want to experiment with the *deploy* command as that follows all the
recommended steps to re-deploy a view in a production environment.

To get an idea of how the test fixture correlates to a single design
document, with the rlx repository as the working directory, try this
(couchdb running on localhost):

```
rlx i
cd :lh
db add mydb
cd mydb
app push test/fixtures/app -i myddoc
app get myddoc
```

I just tried this with the 2.x alpha version and it is working fine, I see
the entire collated design document in Fauxton. Hope that helps a little
with the app command.

Because the *app* command encapsulates a design document (and it's views) I
hope this also answers the second part of your question. Although,
executing and querying views still needs some work from what I recall to
cater for pagination and large result sets.

Feel free to raise questions and bugs on github!

Cheers - muji.

Posted by Peter Figliozzi <pe...@gmail.com>.