Posted to apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org by Ensign Yu <en...@yahoo.com> on 2002/05/11 02:21:01 UTC

Streamline support for Mac OS X?

I've sucessfully run Slash on Mac OS X. The major
factor blocking Slash from being used on Mac OS X is
libapreq, which didn't work for me without
modifications due to multiple defined symbols.

I used stock apache 1.3.22 and the latest release of
mod_perl, and some version of libapreq-1.0 (not the
one that requires modification to apache). I used the
shared library trick to prevent the symbol collision.
However, I've had to manually edit the configure
script and I'm wondering if there will be a more
streamlined approach that will make it easier to
install Slash on OS X.

Main problem was that configure doesn't recognize
powerpc-apple-darwin5.4. Configure _does_ recognize
powerpc-apple-macosten, but ltconfig doesn't. In
reverse, ltconfig recognizes darwin but not macosten.
This is probably just an autoconf problem, but if the
configure script were newer, it might make things
easier.

Also, how do I pass options to Makefile.PL? I ended up
just editing Makefile.PL to link as dynamic.

 - EnsignYu@yahoo.com

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com

Re: Streamline support for Mac OS X?

Posted by Ensign Yu <en...@yahoo.com>.
--- Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> wrote:

> On linux, the linking seems to happen automagically
> (IOW no need to mess with Makefile.PL; if there's
> a shared libapreq installed, gcc will use it
> instead of the static one built by perl).
> Specifically,
> what did you need to change?  A diff of your whole
> httpd-apreq tree also might help.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Joe Schaefer

With apache/mod_perl, I just compiled statically with
expat disabled, using system regex, and no executable
stripping.

For libapreq, I replaced libtool/ltconfig/ltmain.sh
with version 1.3.5 and patched it with the patch
provided in Fink's docs.

At this point, there was the somewhat trivial problem
that configure didn't recognize darwin (although it
did recognize macosten). Since I really know nothing
about configure, I just added 'macosten' to ltconfig
(it'd probably be better to just add a darwin entry to
configure). I configured, specifying my host as
powerpc-apple-macosten, and also specified the apache
includes directory because my global include configs
are slightly messed up. Then make, make install.

Makefile.PL, I changed "static" to "dynamic" and added
the proper include paths. Make, make install.

Then I ran Apache with a simple config to make sure it
was loading Apache::Cookie and Apache::Request without
conflicts. Then I dumped the Slash stuff in there, and
ran it. I logged into my Slash account, posted an
article, messed with some config stuff. I'm not sure
if there's any problems with it, but it seems fine.

 - EY

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Ensign Yu <en...@yahoo.com> writes:

> I've sucessfully run Slash on Mac OS X. The major
> factor blocking Slash from being used on Mac OS X is
> libapreq, which didn't work for me without
> modifications due to multiple defined symbols.
>
> I used stock apache 1.3.22 and the latest release of
> mod_perl, and some version of libapreq-1.0 (not the
> one that requires modification to apache). I used the
> shared library trick to prevent the symbol collision.

AFAIK, you're the very first person that's made
this work on OS/X.

> However, I've had to manually edit the configure
> script and I'm wondering if there will be a more
> streamlined approach that will make it easier to
> install Slash on OS X.

You seem to know what needs fixing; would
you be willing to help with that?