Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ed...@charter.net on 2006/11/15 15:59:31 UTC

Can't find file - newbie question

Hi,
I've got a class that reads a file when it is first invoked.  When I run this
class standalone, (meaning not using Tomcat), the class finds the file and can
read it just fine.  But when I call the class from a JSP under Tomcat, I get an
error that indicates the class cannot find the file.

The class, ("foo"), is in package "com.xyz.bar".  The file, ("stuff.txt") has
had copies placed in the root, (TomcatProject), in /TomcatProject/WEB-INF, in
TomcatProject/lib,  in TomcatProject/classes/com/xyz/bar, and I have tried to
point the class to each of these locations - with no luck.

Do I need to do something like define the file somehow in web.xml ?

RE: Can't find file - newbie question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: edward@charter.net [mailto:edward@charter.net]
> Subject: Can't find file - newbie question
>
> Do I need to do something like define the file somehow in web.xml ?

No, but you need to access it with ServletContext.getResourceAsStream().
Take a look at the FAQ:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#head-45c3314139cb900ddd43dde2ff67153
2e6e844bc

 - Chuck