Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sriram Narayanan <sr...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/02 16:04:57 UTC

When would Tomcat refuse to accept any further connections ?

Hello list:

We're using Tomcat to host some web services. The nature of our
application is such that a single web service receives a lot of
requests in bursts.

We use Cognos to connect to a data provider called Simba, which in
turn makes the requests to the web service.

Our customers are reporting that some times, Cognos reports that "the
connection was not open".

I realize that there are at least three variables here : Cognos, Simba
and Tomcat.

To help isolate the problem, I need to find out just when does eachh
component fail. Since Tomcat is the easiest to work with, I thought of
asking the list for the following information:

1. Under what circumstances does Tomcat refuse to accept further connections ?
2. When does Tomcat drop connections, if at all ?
3. Would using alternatives to the default connector help ? I'm
thinking APR/NIO.

Also, we're using Tomcat 5.5.17 right now. I intend to move to Tomcat
6.0.10 and see how it handles the load.

At present, we're running all this on a Windows box, but will move to
Linux/Solaris on production.

-- Sriram