Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by César Hernández Mendoza <ce...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/28 22:31:39 UTC

how to debug TCK tests?

Hi,

I created the following document to track my TCK related work.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oYO0RN-rg4Z7TgSLJ2u4iK4hOFHOXA49ech2y0N3kVw/edit?usp=sharing

As you can see I executed today the tests from the  "appclient" category.

One of the failing test is:
com/sun/ts/tests/appclient/deploy/ejblink/single/Client#testCMP11

The way I'm executing just that tests is with the following command:
./runtests --web tomee-plume -c -sql active -da
com/sun/ts/tests/appclient/deploy/ejblink/single/Client#testCMP11

Notice that I'm adding:
 -sql to enable (according to with runtests script code [1]) required
databases to be created.
-da to enable TCK appclient debug options (port 5003)

Then on my IntelliJ, I opened Jakarta-tck project [3] and  set up a remote
debug configuration for Listen to Remote JVM at port: 5003

Unfortunately, I'm not able to make this to work and degub the failing test.

[1] https://github.com/apache/tomee-tck/blob/master/runtests#L30
[2]  https://github.com/apache/tomee-tck/blob/master/runtests#L38
[3] https://jenkins.eclipse.org/jakartaee-tck/

--
Atentamente:
César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: how to debug TCK tests?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
H i Cesar,

I don’t see the javatest.log?

Have you found the command line that starts the app client, including the debug options?  I don’t think “listen mode” was available when I was working on this, I sure didn’t know about it!

The app client test harness is definitely involved, but I was wondering what was being started to be debugged… as I recall I sometimes needed to step through various test harnesses and sometimes through geronimo or test app code.  I remember all the options being quite confusing.

David Jencks

Re: how to debug TCK tests?

Posted by César Hernández Mendoza <ce...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

--
Atentamente:
César Hernández Mendoza.

Re: how to debug TCK tests?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
From the distant past, I recall it being tricky to debug the app client tests. Can you tell what is happening?

Re: how to debug TCK tests?

Posted by César Hernández Mendoza <ce...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Thank you all for the pointers.

I was able to connect to the test by running:
./runtests --web tomee-plume -d
com/sun/ts/tests/appclient/deploy/ejblink/single/Client#testCMP11

I attached remotely first to port 5005 and then to 5003 (app client port).

This also works:
./runtests --web tomee-plume -c -da
com/sun/ts/tests/appclient/deploy/ejblink/single/Client#testCMP11
./runtests --web tomee-plume -da -c
com/sun/ts/tests/appclient/deploy/ejblink/single/Client#testCMP11

One thing that I notice is that always in the IDE, the first time I try to
attach the debugger fails with the message:
"Error running 'jtHarness-5003': Unable to open debugger port
(localhost:5003): java.net.ConnectException "Connection refused (Connection
refused)"

Then when I click again the debuggers gets attached successfully.

This is how my remote configuration looks in IntelliJ for the appclient
port (5003):
[image: image.png]

--
Atentamente: