Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Denny Trebbin <de...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/24 15:20:44 UTC

Using Elixir language for CouchDB hacking

Hi,

I try to step out of the dark and turn from silent into speaker mode ;-)

Recently http://elixir-lang.org/ has gotten some love and support by Dave
Thomas via his book http://pragprog.com/book/elixir/programming-elixir and
a screencast on YouTube http://youtu.be/a-off4Vznjs

I would like to contribute to CouchDB because CDB is nice and I've never
had troubles with my IrisCouch instance. But with plain old Erlang I can
not do too much to pay something back to CouchDB. I hope I can give back
something to CouchDB using Elixir instead.

Here is my plan.
1. get to know if Elixir is welcome here
2. get some support on understanding CouchDB's Erlang code architecture
3. identify where and how to inject Elixir
4. hack & test

Thank you
--Denny

Re: Using Elixir language for CouchDB hacking

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
Denny, I'd love to help out / get involved here too.

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.
On May 24, 2013, at 9:20 AM, Denny Trebbin <de...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I try to step out of the dark and turn from silent into speaker mode ;-)

Awesome.

> Recently http://elixir-lang.org/ has gotten some love and support by Dave
> Thomas via his book http://pragprog.com/book/elixir/programming-elixir and
> a screencast on YouTube http://youtu.be/a-off4Vznjs
>
> I would like to contribute to CouchDB because CDB is nice and I've never
> had troubles with my IrisCouch instance. But with plain old Erlang I can
> not do too much to pay something back to CouchDB. I hope I can give back
> something to CouchDB using Elixir instead.
>
> Here is my plan.
> 1. get to know if Elixir is welcome here

Sure!

> 2. get some support on understanding CouchDB's Erlang code architecture

There's an erlang@couchdb.apache.org especially for this sort of stuff, but you can always ask here.

> 3. identify where and how to inject Elixir

I'd wonder if an Elixir native view server might be a way to get your feet wet.

> 4. hack & test
>
> Thank you
> --Denny

Adam

Re: Using Elixir language for CouchDB hacking

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Heya Denny,

any news? This is very exciting :)

Jan