Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/13 18:24:47 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE] Maven Shared Filtering 1.1 - Maven Script Interpreter 1.1 - Maven Invoker Plugin 1.7

Hi,

The vote has passed with the following result :

+1 (binding): Olivier Lamy, Stephen Connolly, Mark Struberg, Hervé
Boutemy and Stéphane Nicoll
+1 (non binding): Tony Chemit

I will promote the artifacts to the central repo.

Re: SLF4J implementation [was Re: svn commit: r1380105 - in /maven/maven-3/trunk: ./ apache-maven/ maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/classrealm/ maven-embedder/ maven-embedder/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/cli/]

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
On Sep 10, 2012, at 8:04 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> There are people who embed Maven, and they are likely to find it
> congenial that they can make it talk to the logging framework of their
> choice by dropping in slf4j-X as needed. For the ordinary
> command-line, Jason and I and others think that we just pick a
> backend, put the appropriate jar into M2_HOME/lib, and set up a
> reasonable default configuration, suitable tweaked by -X.
>
> Yes, we could do like CXF and have our own -- arguably, we already do,
> with Plexus. (Mark's point, I think.) CXF has particular discontents
> with slf4J related to I18N that Maven has never cared about.
>
> My view is that SLF4J has become so ubiquitous that the number of
> people who will find it congenial will overwhelm the number of people
> who find it inconvenient or problematic.

Yes, I think that's the conclusion that most come to.

I think most of us agree that SLF4J is the best choice for a logging facade.

That said I will finish off my branch to route everything via SLF4J. I will also write up how to swap out the logging implementation but to start I will just put in slf4j-simple. I'm not picky about the implementation because it's easy to change the simple implementation is the closest to the behaviour that's there now.

I just need to sort out how to flip over to a file when that command line option is set and then I'll be finished.

I'll do this tonight.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Posted by ceki <ce...@qos.ch>.
Mark, I hope I did not convey the wrong message in my previous
email. Commit r1380105 provides a backward compatible way for existing
Maven plug-ins to continue using org.codehaus.plexus.Logger. The said
Plexus logger would delegate to org.slf4j.Logger to perform actual
logging. By "a policy for swapping out logging back-ends", I meant
formulating a policy leveraging SLF4J's own binding mechanism within
Maven.

For the purposes of this discussion), if slf4j-simple.jar is the
default logging back-end in Maven, Maven's logging pluggability policy
for switching to j.u.l. could be as straightforward as removing
slf4j-simple.jar from $MAVEN_HOME/lib and replacing it with
slf4j-jul.jar in $MAVEN_HOME/lib. Switching to log4j would entail
replacing slf4j-jul.jar with slf4j-log4j12.jar and log4j.jar in
$MAVEN_HOME/lib. Switching logback would mean replacing
slf4j-log4j12.jar and log4j.jar with logback-core.jar and
logback-classic.jar in $MAVEN_HOME/lib. You get the idea.

As mentioned in my previous message, I don't know if the above would
work due to my ignorance of exactly how Maven bootstraps.

As for exporting SLF4J to Maven plug-ins, you are correct to observe
that this would tie Maven to the SLF4J API. In my undeniably biased
view, attempts at mitigating such coupling invariably yield poor
results. Please see for further discussion.

   http://www.slf4j.org/faq.html#optional_dependency
   http://tinyurl.com/soWrapping

--
Ceki
http://tinyurl.com/proLogback

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
wait men,

we speak about maven right? how often do you configure your logs to be
"verbose"?

it is often simply [level] - message

other usages are "advanced" (an user will never activate it - i agree when
you dev you can but dev are not targeted users IMO?)

so for such a simple need whatever framework you use will be fine no?

*Romain Manni-Bucau*
*Twitter: @rmannibucau*
*Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com*

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Yep lots of people mess this up big time... I should know having ended up
writing my own logging adapter at one point in time...

The only api that came close to offering all the required features was
slf4j... And the missing features were in my view less optimal and largely
driven by the telecoms architect's policy doc... I18nized logs for info and
higher is a bit nuts... And can kill perf (as you need the ability to
reorder the positional params which slf4j's performance impl prevents)

Mark I humbly think you are arguing in a hole... But feel free to enlighten
me with a good reason

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
> Absolutely. In light of commit r1380105, the next step is for you
> (Maven folks) to formulate a policy for swapping out logging
> back-ends.

Well that is what this is all about. And we have this solution available in Maven since 2004. There is already a logging facade which is widely used: org.codehaus.plexus.Logger

This is used in whole Maven including all plugins which exist. All Maven messages get routed through it. I just see no reason for swapping out A1 for A2. At least not if A1 is working for years and all the Maven APIs are using it. I'm talking about >100 API signatures we would need to change in an incompatible way sooner or later!

I'm perfectly fine to back the plexus.Logger facade with SLF4J as default impl, but please let's not get this into our API or export it to users!

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by ceki <ce...@qos.ch>.