Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de> on 2002/08/14 15:00:13 UTC

Strange error using JPEG/SVGSerializier under heavy load - ClassCastException

Configuration: Cocoon 2.0.3, Tomcat 3.2.3.
We use the SVGSerializer with JPEG-Output to generate graphical menus (we could not get the customer to use only plain text menus).

All works fine after a starting up tomcat. But after a few days (variing) without even touching the server the SVG Generantion fails with the Error below - a ClassCastException. Every following request of a JPEG generation failes with the same error.
All other requests processing only HTML still work!

This error is very strange, because all works until the SVG Serialization seems to hang up totally (but only the SVG Serialization).
The memory utilisation is normal. There are no OutOfMemory-Erros or anything that points to a memory leak. Unfortunately it was not possible to reproduce this problem by force using a web stress tool, it only happens on the live servers and only after a few days.

After a tomcat restart all works well again.

Any ideas? I searched the mailing lists of Cocoon and Batik but found hints.
We tried replacing the batik 1.5beta2 shipped with Cocoon 2.0.3 with the latest 1.5 beta3, same problem.

Stefan

FATAL_E (2002-08-14) 10:25.14:890   [core.xslt-processor] (/rstemplates/rs/rs_rubrik/0,,1767_gruene-partei~de_svg_nav1,00.jpg) Thread-9/TraxErrorHandler: Error in TraxTransformer: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformNode(TransformerImpl.java:1226)
	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(TransformerImpl.java:3196)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
---------
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
	at org.apache.cocoon.xml.dom.SVGBuilder.endDocument(SVGBuilder.java:144)
	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.ResultTreeHandler.endDocument(ResultTreeHandler.java:190)
	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformNode(TransformerImpl.java:1182)
	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(TransformerImpl.java:3196)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
---------
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
	at org.apache.cocoon.serialization.SVGSerializer.notify(SVGSerializer.java:272)
	at org.apache.cocoon.xml.dom.SVGBuilder.endDocument(SVGBuilder.java:140)
	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.ResultTreeHandler.endDocument(ResultTreeHandler.java:190)
	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformNode(TransformerImpl.java:1182)
	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(TransformerImpl.java:3196)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
---------
java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser
	at org.apache.batik.dom.svg.SVGDOMImplementation.createCSSEngine(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.batik.dom.svg.ExtensibleSVGDOMImplementation.createCSSEngine(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.batik.bridge.BridgeContext.initializeDocument(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.build(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.batik.transcoder.SVGAbstractTranscoder.transcode(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.batik.transcoder.image.ImageTranscoder.transcode(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.batik.transcoder.XMLAbstractTranscoder.transcode(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.cocoon.serialization.SVGSerializer.notify(SVGSerializer.java:268)

Re: Strange error using JPEG/SVGSerializier under heavy load - ClassCastException

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Stefan Seifert wrote:

>Configuration: Cocoon 2.0.3, Tomcat 3.2.3.
>We use the SVGSerializer with JPEG-Output to generate graphical menus (we could not get the customer to use only plain text menus).
>
>All works fine after a starting up tomcat. But after a few days (variing) without even touching the server the SVG Generantion fails with the Error below - a ClassCastException. Every following request of a JPEG generation failes with the same error.
>All other requests processing only HTML still work!
>
>This error is very strange, because all works until the SVG Serialization seems to hang up totally (but only the SVG Serialization).
>The memory utilisation is normal. There are no OutOfMemory-Erros or anything that points to a memory leak. Unfortunately it was not possible to reproduce this problem by force using a web stress tool, it only happens on the live servers and only after a few days.
>
>After a tomcat restart all works well again.
>
>Any ideas? I searched the mailing lists of Cocoon and Batik but found hints.
>We tried replacing the batik 1.5beta2 shipped with Cocoon 2.0.3 with the latest 1.5 beta3, same problem.

I wonder is it related to this thread or not:

Vadim