Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/03 12:48:08 UTC

[AXIS2] PROPOSAL : Options#setUsername() and Options#setPassword()

Hi All,

There two widely used cases where the client will have to provide a
username and a password when accessing a service.

  - UsernameToken authentication
  - HTTP basic auth

Right now with Axis2 these two requires the user to provide the
username in different ways. It will be great if we can have a scenario
where we simply set these two values in the Options object and expect
the modules to use these values in applying the policy expressed by
the service (adding a UT or basic auth).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ruchith

Re: [AXIS2] PROPOSAL : Options#setUsername() and Options#setPassword()

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Saminda

The priority should be given to the option object.

I don't think we should ever use the Proxy credentials for the target
service - that would be a security flaw.

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [AXIS2] PROPOSAL : Options#setUsername() and Options#setPassword()

Posted by Saminda Abeyruwan <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
Assuming it is a really useful feature , here is my +1

Thanks
Deepal
> Hi All,
>
> There two widely used cases where the client will have to provide a
> username and a password when accessing a service.
>
>   - UsernameToken authentication
>   - HTTP basic auth
>
> Right now with Axis2 these two requires the user to provide the
> username in different ways. It will be great if we can have a scenario
> where we simply set these two values in the Options object and expect
> the modules to use these values in applying the policy expressed by
> the service (adding a UT or basic auth).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Ruchith

Deepal

Re: [AXIS2] PROPOSAL : Options#setUsername() and Options#setPassword()

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
+1..

Hey Ruchith,
Can you tell us the easiest way to tell an Axis2 client to use UT,
provided that the username and password are given using the above..

thanks,
Thilina

Thilina Gunarathne  -  http://www.wso2.com - http://thilinag.blogspot.com

Re: [AXIS2] PROPOSAL : Options#setUsername() and Options#setPassword()

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Glen Daniels wrote:

> Good lord yes.  +1!

+1. Amen.

;-)

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [AXIS2] PROPOSAL : Options#setUsername() and Options#setPassword()

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me :)

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Ruchith Fernando wrote:
> There two widely used cases where the client will have to provide a
> username and a password when accessing a service.
>
>   - UsernameToken authentication
>   - HTTP basic auth
>
> Right now with Axis2 these two requires the user to provide the
> username in different ways. It will be great if we can have a scenario
> where we simply set these two values in the Options object and expect
> the modules to use these values in applying the policy expressed by
> the service (adding a UT or basic auth).
>
> Thoughts?

Good lord yes.  +1!

--Glen

Re: [AXIS2] PROPOSAL : Options#setUsername() and Options#setPassword()

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

The current Rampart client model is too complex.

Paul

On 8/3/07, Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> There two widely used cases where the client will have to provide a
> username and a password when accessing a service.
>
>   - UsernameToken authentication
>   - HTTP basic auth
>
> Right now with Axis2 these two requires the user to provide the
> username in different ways. It will be great if we can have a scenario
> where we simply set these two values in the Options object and expect
> the modules to use these values in applying the policy expressed by
> the service (adding a UT or basic auth).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Ruchith

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [AXIS2] PROPOSAL : Options#setUsername() and Options#setPassword()

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 to that.

Rajith

Posted by Chathura Herath <ch...@gmail.com>.