Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2012/11/18 18:35:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Hi all (but Cédric in particular),
by looking at JIRA [1] it seems that quite a considerable number of
issues have been fixed since 2.1.11 (31) even though some are still
standing (11+2).

Following our recent discussion in another thread, I have some questions
to Cédric (and other C2.1 devs, if there are...):

  1. Do you think that the the 13 outstanding issues can be moved to
2.1.13 or there are some that need to be absolutely included in 2.1.12?

  2. Is the release process clear to you? If not, who (maybe active in
the past) can provide some hint?

  3. Do you need any help in the release process? If so, who is
available to help? I am, even though I don't remember pretty anything of
C2.1...

  4. Considering the questions above, when do you think we can start
releasing 2.1.12?

Thanks for info.
Regards.

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON/fixforversion/12312903#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversion-issues-panel

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: 2.12 Release: Additions to COCOON-2333 (list of current jars)

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Le 12/12/2012 13:13, David Crossley a écrit :
> Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:

>>> Thanks, I will add some of your notes to the list.
>>>
>>> The intention was to gather some information about some of the important
>>> ones. If necessary or desirable, then we could possibly upgrade some.
>>> However there would need to be other Cocoon committers to assist with that.
>> If you can point me to some procedure to test whether everything is
>> working (if it was Maven I would have known how to do this check) when
>> upgrading some JAR dependency file, I could provide some assistance.
> The lib/jars.xml file explains where each jar is used, e.g. which block,
> or perhaps core too. So doing ./build.sh to compile and run whatever
> code tests are included, then ./cocoon.sh and exercise the relevant Sample.
>
>>> IIUC, then Cocoon-2.1 will need to remain at a limited low version of
>>> Java. So that will restrict which jars can
>>> be upgraded, and to what version of their product.
>> Agreed: 2.1.12 is a bugfix version - coming after years! - and its scope
>> could not interfere with Java version.
> The Cocoon-2.1 README.txt says Java 1.3
>
> However for example this is already in our C-2.1 SVN:
> lib/optional/xmlgraphics-commons-1.3.1.jar
> and version 1.3 is the first to require Java 1.4
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/commons/#news-2008-06-11
>
> -David

If I remember correctly, it was decided that 2.1.12 would be the first
version requiring at least a 1.4 JVM
This is written in the status.xml and even the core does not compile
with a JVM < 1.4
We should certainly update the README.txt

--
Cédric Damioli
Ametys CMS

Re: 2.12 Release: Additions to COCOON-2333 (list of current jars)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by "insight49@gmail.com" <in...@gmail.com>.
Here are some additions to COCOON-2333 (list of current jar files). I'm
also attaching a .txt file in case that's easier to use.

Is the plan to upgrade the code to use the newer jar versions for the
2.12 release?

Thanks,

Dan

==================

Additions to:
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/misc/notes/review-jars.txt?view=markup

Issue: COCOON-2333

Notes: I'm not a developer so functionality/compatibility with cocoon
may not work!

148     L: lib/optional/batik-all-1.6.jar
149     F: C:
150     R: batik-1.7;  batik-src-1.7.zip OR batik-1.7.zip
151     http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/batik/

161     L: lib/optional/chaperon-20040205.jar
162     F: C:
163     R: chaperon-3.0;  chaperon-3.0-final-src.tar.gz OR
chaperon-3.0-final-bin.tar.gz
http://chaperon.sourceforge.net/

169     L: lib/optional/commons-codec-1.3.jar
170     F: C:
171     R: commons-codec-1.7;  commons-codec-1.7-bin.tar.gz  OR
commons-codec-1.7-src.tar.gz
https://commons.apache.org/codec/

218  L: lib/optional/fop-0.95.jar
219  F: C:
220  R: fop-1,1; fop-1.1-src.tar.gz OR fop-1.1-bin.tar.gz
https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.1/

247     L: lib/optional/icu4j-2.8.jar
248     F: X:
249     R: icu4j-50_1; icu4j-50_1.tgz, icu4j-charset-50_1.jar,
icu4j-localespi-50_1.jar
https://ssl.icu-project.org/icu-jsp/downloadPage.jsp?ver=50.1&base=j&svn=release-50-1
http://site.icu-project.org/

251     L: lib/optional/itext-1.1.jar
252     F: X:
253     R: itext-5.3.4; itext-5.3.4.zip
http://itextpdf.com/,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/itext/files/iText/iText5.3.4/

299     L: lib/optional/jtidy-04aug2000r7-dev.jar
300     F: C:
301     R: jtidy-r938; jtidy-r938.zip OR jtidy-r938-sources.zip
http://jtidy.sourceforge.net/
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtidy/files/JTidy/r938/)

303     L: lib/optional/lucene-1.4.3.jar
304     F: C:
305     R: lucene-4.0.0;  lucene-4.0.0-src.tgz OR lucene-4.0.0.tgz
https://lucene.apache.org/
See also the SOLR Project (https://lucene.apache.org/solr/, now v4)

317     L: lib/optional/nekohtml-0.9.5.jar
318     F: X:
319     R: nekohtml-1.9.17;  nekohtml-1.9.17.tar.gz OR nekohtml-1.9.17.zip
http://nekohtml.sourceforge.net/

329     L: lib/optional/poi-3.0.2-FINAL-20080204.jar
330     F: X:
331     R: poi-3.9;  poi-bin-3.9-20121203.tar.gz  OR
poi-src-3.9-20121203.tar.gz
https://poi.apache.org/
Notes: See also, alternative TIKA Project (tika.apache.org); Current
SOLR v4 distro uses poi-3.8.jar, poi-ooxml-3.8.jar,
poi-ooxml-schemas-3.8.jar and poi-scratchpad-3.8.jar

365     L: lib/optional/velocity-1.4.jar
366     F: X:
367     R: velocity-1.7;  velocity-1.7.tar.gz
https://velocity.apache.org/

393     L: lib/optional/xmlgraphics-commons-1.3.1.jar
394     F: C:
395     R: xmlgraphics-commons-1.5; xmlgraphics-commons-1.5-bin.tar.gz
OR xmlgraphics-commons-1.5-src.tar.gz
https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/commons/

Re: [2.1.x] Code freeze and start of the release process (was Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12)

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Le 11/03/2013 17:37, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :

> I was able to
>  1. download all files
>  2. check ASC signatures and MD5 / SHA1 hashes
>  3. (either for zip and tar.gz) extract src, try to build and got
> message about missing dependencies
>  4. (either for zip and tar.gz) extract deps, successfully build, run
> and browse samples
>
> If this was a formal vote, I would have given my +1
> Nice job!
>
> Looking forward for the actual vote.
> Regards.

Thanks for your feedback.
I hope to be able to tag the SVN, rebuild the files, and launch the
formal vote later today.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Le 11/03/2013 11:12, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
>> On 08/03/2013 20:28, Cédric Damioli wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just uploaded the release material at
>>> http://people.apache.org/~cdamioli/cocoon/
>>>
>>> Before starting a formal vote, could some of you download and test
>>> the files (signatures, installation, samples, ...) ?
>>
>> I'll do this on Monday.
>
> I cannot download almost any file (but some .asc) from the given
> location: 403 Forbidden
ouuups, sorry
This should be better now.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 14/03/2013 15:56, Cédric Damioli wrote:
> Hi,

>>> A while ago [2] we set up with Infra some security for our wiki: if
>>> you want write access you need to be enlisted as contributor in [3];
>>> any PMC member can also be added to [4] thus becoming administrator.
>>>
>>> Please tell me your username and I will add it to [3] or [4], as you
>>> prefer.
>
> My user name on the Wiki is CedricDamioli

Added to [3].

Regards.

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 08/03/2013 20:28, Cédric Damioli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just uploaded the release material at
> http://people.apache.org/~cdamioli/cocoon/
>
> Before starting a formal vote, could some of you download and test the
> files (signatures, installation, samples, ...) ?

I'll so this on Monday.

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Hi team,

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Cédric Damioli wrote:
> Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> > David Crossley wrote:
> >
> >>I am busy for the next two weeks, being away for the second.
> >>Now half-way through testing Forrest using the recently updated
> >>Cocoon and its FOP/Batik/etc. Will try to finish that ASAP.
> >
> >...guess it's wise to wait for you to finish such tests before
> >starting the actual release process ;-)
>
> Indeed :)

;-)

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 28/02/2013 11:44, Cédric Damioli wrote:
> Le 28/02/2013 11:26, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :

>>> BTW, who is actually the release manager for 2.1.12 ?
>>
>> Whoever wants to take this up: I was assuming you, actually ;-)
>> Having some experience with releases (Maven-driven, actually...) I
>> can help, if you want / need.
> I'm ok to do the job, if it's ok for others too ;)

Well, the ASF is a do-ocracy [7] so don't be afraid :-)

> Having never done Apache releases, I'll certainly need help at some
> point, but IIRC the whole process was particularly well explained on
> the wiki.

Guess you are referring to [8].
I think this will also be the chance to update it in some parts, so that
releasing 2.1.13 would be easier.

Regards.

[7] http://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making
[8] http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonReleaseHowTo

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Cédric Damioli <ce...@anyware-services.com>.
Le 28/02/2013 11:26, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> On 28/02/2013 11:22, Cédric Damioli wrote:

>>> With r1451136 I have enabled the generation of .md5 and .sha1 for
>>> dist packages, required by [4]: please check it to confirm that it
>>> is working correctly.
>>> The .asc files will also need to be generated, but I haven't found
>>> an easy way to to this via ANT, hence I guess we have no option but
>>> the manual way, e.g.
>>>
>>> $ gpg --armor --output cocoon-2.1.12-src.zip.asc --detach-sig
>>> cocoon-2.1.12-src.zip
>>> $ gpg --armor --output cocoon-2.1.12-src.tar.gz.asc --detach-sig
>>> cocoon-2.1.12-src.tar.gz
>>> $ gpg --armor --output cocoon-2.1.12-deps.zip.asc --detach-sig
>>> cocoon-2.1.12-deps.zip
>>> $ gpg --armor --output cocoon-2.1.12-deps.tar.gz.asc --detach-sig
>>> cocoon-2.1.12-deps.tar.gz
>>>
>>> I urge to note that the release manager for 2.1.12 will also need to
>>> be sure that his own key is contained in [5].
>>
>> BTW, who is actually the release manager for 2.1.12 ?
>
> Whoever wants to take this up: I was assuming you, actually ;-)
> Having some experience with releases (Maven-driven, actually...) I can
> help, if you want / need.
I'm ok to do the job, if it's ok for others too ;)
Having never done Apache releases, I'll certainly need help at some
point, but IIRC the whole process was particularly well explained on the
wiki.

>>> We have recently turned all the "To be done" statements from [6]
>>> into "Done", hence If no specific limitations and / or bugs are
>>> known affecting the current versions of dependencies, I see no
>>> reason for keep waiting.
>> I've made a very quick tour on samples and all seemed to work nice.
>> I'll look at them deeper once we have a release candidate.
>
> Fine.
>
>>> I'd create the release 2.1.13 on JIRA, move COCOON-2333 there and
>>> start the release process for 2.1.12.
>> +1
>> It'll be part of the release process.
>
> Fine again.
>
> Regards.

>>> [4] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html
>>> [5] http://www.apache.org/dist/cocoon/KEYS
>>> [6]
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/misc/notes/review-jars.txt

--
<http://www.anyware-services.com>
www.anyware-services.com <http://www.anyware-services.com>

<http://www.twitter.com/anywareservices>
<http://www.facebook.com/AnywareServices>
<http://anyware-services.us2.list-manage2.com/subscribe?u=1cf1cbf2891b613e90fd95eb2&id=01c7bdfce3>

Inscrivez-vous à notre newsletter

<http://anyware-services.us2.list-manage2.com/subscribe?u=1cf1cbf2891b613e90fd95eb2&id=01c7bdfce3>

*Cédric Damioli*
Directeur technique
cedric.damioli@anyware-services.com
<ma...@anyware-services.com>
Tel : +33(0)5 62 19 19 07
Mob : +33(0)6 87 03 61 63
Fax : +33(0)5 61 75 84 12
Adresse : Hôtel Télécom - Augustin Fresnel / 40 rue du Village
d'entreprises / 31670 LABEGE

Ametys: Smart Web CMS
<http://www.ametys.org> www.ametys.org <http://www.ametys.org>

Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes (le "Message") sont
confidentiels et établis à l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
Toute modification, édition, utilisation ou diffusion non autorisée est
interdite.
Anyware Services décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce Message
s'il a été altéré, déformé, falsifié ou édité, diffusé sans autorisation.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Hi there,

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Le 11/12/2012 11:46, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
>> On 07/12/2012 08:14, David Crossley wrote:
>>> I spent some time to attempt to upgrade the guts of Forrest
>>> to utilise today's Cocoon-2.1.12-dev version.
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1240
>>>
>>> Hooray, it works.
>>
>> That's very good news!
>>
>>> As explained there it would also be good to upgrade some of the
>>> supporting products dependencies in Cocoon. Forrest has some that
>>> are newer than Cocoon and vice versa. We probably each have some
>>> that are out-of-date.
>>
>> It makes sense: would you like to open an issue for this?
>>
>> To summarize, what's missing now to release 2.1.12?
>
> Hi all,
> is everything tracked into JIRA [1]?
 From my POV, yes.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> >As explained there it would also be good to upgrade some of the
> >supporting products dependencies in Cocoon. Forrest has some that
> >are newer than Cocoon and vice versa. We probably each have some
> >that are out-of-date.
>
> It makes sense: would you like to open an issue for this?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2333
C-2.1: upgrade some supporting product dependencies

That links to a list in SVN at:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/branches/BRANCH_2_1_X/misc/notes/review-jars.txt

Would developers and users please add notes for any jars
that would be necessary or worthwhile to upgrade.

-David

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 07/12/2012 08:14, David Crossley wrote:
> I spent some time to attempt to upgrade the guts of Forrest
> to utilise today's Cocoon-2.1.12-dev version.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-1240
>
> Hooray, it works.

That's very good news!

> As explained there it would also be good to upgrade some of the
> supporting products dependencies in Cocoon. Forrest has some that
> are newer than Cocoon and vice versa. We probably each have some
> that are out-of-date.

It makes sense: would you like to open an issue for this?

To summarize, what's missing now to release 2.1.12?
Thanks.

Regards.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Le 18/11/2012 18:35, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> Hi all (but Cédric in particular),
> by looking at JIRA [1] it seems that quite a considerable number of
> issues have been fixed since 2.1.11 (31) even though some are still
> standing (11+2).
>
> Following our recent discussion in another thread, I have some
> questions to Cédric (and other C2.1 devs, if there are...):
>
>  1. Do you think that the the 13 outstanding issues can be moved to
> 2.1.13 or there are some that need to be absolutely included in 2.1.12?
3 of them were opened by myself before gaining committership. [1] [2] [3]
I could have closed them already, but was waiting for others' approval.
I don't know if someone has something to say about them ...

The 10 others issues are more than 2 years old

There are also 74 issues with no "fix for" version (29 with a patch
included) but affecting a 2.1.x version

We should maybe ask 2.1 users if there are particular issues they want
to be fixed before cutting a 2.1.12 ?

>  2. Is the release process clear to you? If not, who (maybe active in
> the past) can provide some hint?
Not really.
I think there was once a page written by Carsten describing the release
process, but I can't find it anymore.

>  3. Do you need any help in the release process? If so, who is
> available to help? I am, even though I don't remember pretty anything
> of C2.1...
Yes please :)
It would be great if 2 or 3 people other than me could try to run unit
tests and run samples.
Almost 5 years after the 2.1.11, I also don't remember all blocks, it
would be great to also have feedbacks from users of some specific blocks.

>  4. Considering the questions above, when do you think we can start
> releasing 2.1.12?
Depending if we try to gather some feedbacks from devs and users or not,
it could be quite fast, say in the next few days.
But 5 years after, we can afford one or two more weeks if needed :)

> Thanks for info.
> Regards.
>
> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON/fixforversion/12312903#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversion-issues-panel

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2288
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2313
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-2314

Best regards,

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Le 22/11/2012 13:55, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
> On 22/11/2012 11:57, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> Le 21/11/12 23:43, David Crossley a écrit :
>>> I am still around from the olden days and will try to help. However
>>> my time is very limited.
>>
>> Same for here! I would be happy to help where I can, but have limited
>> time.
>
> That sounds great: with two "old foxes" like you things can only raise
> better :-)
>
> I think Cédric would need some help especially with pre-release checks
> and issues related to blocks he has never dealt with; Cédric, is this
> correct?

You're right, especially for the "Forms" or "Authentication" blocks.
I know Sylvain wrote a big part of the forms block (we were colleagues
at that time), but it was a looooong time ago :)

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Le 21/11/12 23:43, David Crossley a écrit :
> I am still around from the olden days and will try
> to help. However my time is very limited.

Same for here! I would be happy to help where I can, but have limited time.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Cédric Damioli wrote:
> Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit:
> >Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> >>[...]
> >>
> >>I guess we should directly ask Carlsten, then: let's see if he
> >>replies here, otherwise we can try to contact him somehow else.
> >
> >What about http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonReleaseHowTo ?
>
> It seems to be what I was looking for.
> I was searching in the site and didn't remember there was a wiki !

I am still around from the olden days and will try
to help. However my time is very limited.

People on the user list should be invited to
sign up to the "dev" list and assist, even if
it is just to test samples and tweak docs.

-David

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 19/11/2012 10:45, Cédric Damioli wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 18/11/2012 18:35, Francesco Chicchiriccò a écrit :
>> Hi all (but Cédric in particular),
>> by looking at JIRA [1] it seems that quite a considerable number of
>> issues have been fixed since 2.1.11 (31) even though some are still
>> standing (11+2).
>>
>> Following our recent discussion in another thread, I have some
>> questions to Cédric (and other C2.1 devs, if there are...):
>>
>>  1. Do you think that the the 13 outstanding issues can be moved to
>> 2.1.13 or there are some that need to be absolutely included in 2.1.12?
> 3 of them were opened by myself before gaining committership. [1] [2] [3]
> I could have closed them already, but was waiting for others'
> approval. I don't know if someone has something to say about them ...

I think you can safely apply the "lazy consensus" [1] here, especially
since it seems there is no one else - but you - taking care of C2.1
issues :-(

> The 10 others issues are more than 2 years old
>
> There are also 74 issues with no "fix for" version (29 with a patch
> included) but affecting a 2.1.x version
>
> We should maybe ask 2.1 users if there are particular issues they want
> to be fixed before cutting a 2.1.12 ?

I think you should send an e-mail to users@ ML asking to review the 74
issues reported above (a direct link to the JIRA search would be
helpful) and to explicitly set the fix-for-version to 2.1.12 if they
absolutely require so.
Once 72 hours have passed by, you can look at the results and see what
to do; for any other non-answered issue, I think you can apply again [4].

>>   2. Is the release process clear to you? If not, who (maybe active
>> in the past) can provide some hint?
> Not really.
> I think there was once a page written by Carsten describing the
> release process, but I can't find it anymore.

I guess we should directly ask Carlsten, then: let's see if he replies
here, otherwise we can try to contact him somehow else.

>> 3. Do you need any help in the release process? If so, who is
>> available to help? I am, even though I don't remember pretty anything
>> of C2.1...
> Yes please
> It would be great if 2 or 3 people other than me could try to run unit
> tests and run samples.
> Almost 5 years after the 2.1.11, I also don't remember all blocks, it
> would be great to also have feedbacks from users of some specific blocks.

Just show what steps are needed to make such verifications; about the
"completeness" of such verifications, I think that only dalily usage can
do better, hence don't worry too much.

>>   4. Considering the questions above, when do you think we can start
>> releasing 2.1.12?
> Depending if we try to gather some feedbacks from devs and users or
> not, it could be quite fast, say in the next few days.
> But 5 years after, we can afford one or two more weeks if needed

My opinion here is to try to be as safe as possible, but also to try to
release ASAP - at most before the end of the year: we cannot afford
additional delay: let's apply [4] as much as possible and leave any
missing piece from 2.1.13: I hope it won't take 4 more years :-)

Regards.

[4] http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#LazyConsensus

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Cédric Damioli <ce...@anyware-services.com>.
Hi,

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12

Posted by Cédric Damioli <cd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I've slightly modified the build files in order to separate libs from
sources.
I've uploaded
http://people.apache.org/~cdamioli/cocoon-2.1.12-rc-src.zip and
http://people.apache.org/~cdamioli/cocoon-2.1.12-rc-deps.zip
to get your comments.

Does these archives correspond to Apache policy ?

Thanks for your feedbacks,

Regards,
Cédric

Re: [DISCUSS] Releasing 2.1.12