Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/30 20:06:11 UTC

a question for french analyzer

Hi,

I am not a French speaker, but here are some questions regarding
French analyzer:

Is there any analyzer that can do this? Analyze accentuated letters to
non accentuated corresponding letters (é,è,ê,ë -> e), so that

search "fenêtre" (=window) found all docs with "fenêtre" or "fenetre"
and
search "fenetre" found the same result, all docs with "fenêtre" or "fenetre"

Current analyzers, Snowball-French and FrenchAnalyzer don't have this feature.

--
Chris Lu

Re: a question for french analyzer

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
<<<However, is there any special case that you have?>>>

Yes, the character set we use is, as I remember,
MARC-8. Which I don't think is the ISOLatin....,
but since I didn't know about that filter when we had our problem,
I didn't even look. Oh well, smarter/braver/lazier next time <G>...

Which is why I love this list, I find things like this and look
smarter next time something similar comes up <G>.

Thanks
Erick

Posted by Renaud Waldura <re...@library.ucsf.edu>.
Being a French speaker, I will mention the following special cases:

- "plus ça change" -> "plus ca change"
- "œuf" -> "oeuf"
- "lætitia" -> "laetitia"

But I just looked, and it looks like ISOLatin1AccentFilter handles these.
Better test to be sure...

--Renaud

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Erick,

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samir Abdou <sa...@unine.ch>.
Hi,

Take a look to the class ISOLatin1AccentFilter !  Add this to your analyzer
and it should work !

Hope this will help,
Samir

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Samir,

Thanks a lot for this tip! It works great!

--
Chris Lu