Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by David Gibbs <da...@midrange.com> on 2007/03/27 18:20:49 UTC

Image spam (was: Is Bayes Dead? Have the spammers won?)

--[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> Yes image spam can be a real pain.

While I agree that image spam is a PITA ... I have to wonder how ANYONE
in the right mind could fall for that garbage.

I mean, be real ... if the message you get contains an image, surrounded
by garbage text, and the image quality is worse than a 60's era
television picture, how hard is to figure out that the message is
questionable?

Half the image spam's I've read are so garbled, to avoid the ocr tests,
it's impossible to decipher what they are trying to pump & dump anyways.

david

Re: Image spam

Posted by maillist <ma...@emailacs.com>.
David Gibbs wrote:
> --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
>
>> Yes image spam can be a real pain.
>>

> While I agree that image spam is a PITA ... I have to wonder how ANYONE
> in the right mind could fall for that garbage.
>
> I mean, be real ... if the message you get contains an image, surrounded
> by garbage text, and the image quality is worse than a 60's era
> television picture, how hard is to figure out that the message is
> questionable?
>
> Half the image spam's I've read are so garbled, to avoid the ocr tests,
> it's impossible to decipher what they are trying to pump & dump anyways.
>
> david

Maybe there's real genus involved in this image spam.  I have only
received a few of them because luckily BAYES_99 catches them all (maybe
I get on in 2 months).  We use to try to decipher what the messages
were, just to see who could get it first.  Plus, it reminded us of Atari.

sa-learn them, and they should go away

-=Aubrey=-

Re: Image spam (was: Is Bayes Dead? Have the spammers won?)

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, David Gibbs wrote:

> While I agree that image spam is a PITA ... I have to wonder how
> ANYONE in the right mind could fall for that garbage.
>
> I mean, be real ... if the message you get contains an image,
> surrounded by garbage text, and the image quality is worse than a
> 60's era television picture, how hard is to figure out that the
> message is questionable?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not
sure about the universe.
                                      -- Albert Einstein

But then, I'm a cynic.

  ...much of our country's counterterrorism security spending is not
  designed to protect us from the terrorists, but instead to protect
  our public officials from criticism when another attack occurs.
                                                    -- Bruce Schneier
 17 days until Thomas Jefferson's 264th Birthday