Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu> on 2003/06/02 20:45:49 UTC

Welcome Adrian

Please join me in welcoming Adrian Sutton as a committer for the
HttpClient team.  His account should be setup in the very near future,
so please send all new patches his way:)  Welcome Adrian.

Mike

Re: Welcome Adrian

Posted by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com>.
On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 04:42  PM, Ortwin Glück wrote:

> Adrian Sutton wrote:
>> And if anyone ever works out how a company with just 15 employees
>> winds up having this much trouble approving one signature I'd love to
>> hear the explanation... :)
>
> Adrian,
>
> Welcome, man! It's good to have you on board.

Thanks Odi.

> Just a few thoughts about the legal noise:
> The agreement must be signed by you, not your boss. What you commit is
> your responsibility. How this integrates with your company is an issue
> only between you and your company, but not between Apache Group and
> your company. So you can just fax in the form signed by you. But you
> should have a similar agreement with your company that you are allowed
> to contribute certain code under the Apache License.

Yep, the current problem is getting permission for me to sign the form.
  Since I very occasionally work on HttpClient from work (we do use it
in our product) any formal agreements in relation to me and HttpClient
needs to have approval from my employer.  Also, the license agreement
specifically states that I should get clearance from my employer.
Things get even foggier because any work I do relating to my work at
Ephox is owned by Ephox so even working on HttpClient in my own time
involves Ephox.  This may turn out to be the trigger to demand some
changes to my employment conditions but we'll see how it goes.
Generally I don't have any problems with them, just this case is a
little more difficult. :)

> Of course it's a good idea however to make your boss review the Apache
> agreement and sign it. Just gives a better feeling in your stomach,
> doesn't it. Took me about 10 minutes to get the signatures for mine.
> And  my company has around 30 employees. :-)

Maybe I just need a bigger company so I can hide it in the "to be
signed pile" better. :)

> Odi

Adrian.

Re: Welcome Adrian

Posted by Ortwin Glück <or...@nose.ch>.

Re: Welcome Adrian

Posted by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com>.
> Once I get the contributor agreement faxed in I'll proudly add my name
> to the list of committers for the project then wait for all those
> wonderful new patches to come rolling in. :)

There's one slight hiccup in this process that I just wanted to provide
a heads up for.  My boss feels that he should get approval from the
board before I sign the apache contributor license agreement though
he's certain there won't be a problem with it.  The only time frame I
have is "that shouldn't take long" so it looks like I won't be doing
any committing for a while.  There's no issues with my actual
contributions just with the actual signing of a form so I'll stay away
from using any of my new-found Apache powers until I can happily get
that form signed.

And if anyone ever works out how a company with just 15 employees winds
up having this much trouble approving one signature I'd love to hear
the explanation... :)

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.

Re: Welcome Adrian

Posted by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com>.
Thanks to everyone for the support.  This is a wonderful team to work
with and I look forward to continuing to create great software with you
all.  The Apache elves (Brian Behlendorf in particular) have been busy
over night and my account is already set up.  Once I get the