Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2007/02/16 00:34:59 UTC

JSR-311 update

I just got off the phone with Sun, and they will be making the
changes Roy requested.  The JSR itself can't be changed during the
voting period, but they will be advising the EC of the change in a
note soon-ish.  We'll reference that in our vote, which will be yes.

In terms of organizing who wants to participate, I want to come up
with a list of volunteers.  So far, I have :

Justin
Craig - wants to participate, not lead
Dims
Steve (?)

Did I miss anyone?

geir

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.
OK, well if I can at least be on the list on the Apache end I will be happy.
:-)

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Feb 18, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Dan Diephouse wrote:

> I would be interested in participating.
>
> Can someone clarify one thing for me: can multiple Apache people
> participate? Or is there one liaison between the JSR committee and
> a mailing list of Apache folks?

Depends on the spec lead, and what they allow.  I try to push for at
least 2.

geir

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I just got off the phone with Sun, and they will be making the changes
> Roy requested.  The JSR itself can't be changed during the voting
> period, but they will be advising the EC of the change in a note
> soon-ish.  We'll reference that in our vote, which will be yes.
>
> In terms of organizing who wants to participate, I want to come up with
> a list of volunteers.  So far, I have :
>
> Justin
> Craig - wants to participate, not lead
> Dims
> Steve (?)

I may participate, but am currently uncommitted, Realistically, I would
like the whole thing to be an OSS project, including the TCK, so anyone
can do it. But I see that as unlikely.

if there is an apache list on the topic, yes, I'd subscribe.

to be honest, I'm more interested in what makes a good client API for
restiness, something which models long haul communications properly,
something built on httpclient. That is definately something we can do in
house.

> Did I miss anyone?

Dan Diephouse?

Anyone from Cocoon?

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> <sigh>
>
> Thanks for the info...
>
> THis may or may not be the same

I feel like we are part of the 1957 congress of the soviet union got to
vote in favour of their leaders of actions. "The representatives of
Hungary would like to thank their fraternal brothers for fullfilling
their obligations under the Warsaw Pact and rescuing our country from
the counter-revolutionaries"

-steve

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
<sigh>

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Mar 13, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On 3/13/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> I'm was hoping they'd follow the convention set w/ java.util.logging
>> and call it javas.xml.ws.resting or javax.xml.webservicing.resting
>
> I thought we agreed on the JCP proposal that the API shouldn't have
> 'REST' in the name?  Not to mention that 'RESTful' is a complete joke.
> If nothing else, I hope to minimize such foolishness from the JSR.

IIRC, Sun has stated that they will use javax.ws.rs as the package name.

geir

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 3/13/07, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> I'm was hoping they'd follow the convention set w/ java.util.logging
> and call it javas.xml.ws.resting or javax.xml.webservicing.resting

I thought we agreed on the JCP proposal that the API shouldn't have
'REST' in the name?  Not to mention that 'RESTful' is a complete joke.
 If nothing else, I hope to minimize such foolishness from the JSR.
-- justin

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2007, at 3:25 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
>> I am very confused. Surely the purpose of JSR-311 was to come up with
>> these APIs? But Sun have just released an early access version of the
>> same APIs? How can that be, unless someone has worked out a way to
>> send emails backwards in time?
>
> Nobody in their right mind starts a standards committee without already
> having implemented something that works as they intend the first draft
> of the standard to work.  It is very rare for such standards to be
> changed much by the committee, because design-by-committee always sucks.
> Usually, either the committee focuses on specifying the details of
> what works, or a second party brings their own implementation into
> the committee and everyone changes course to specify that.
>
> ....Roy

I agree, protos are essential. but at the same time, calling it "Early
Access"? That implies that it is already seen as the way forward, when
there were other approaches -especially restlet- on the table.

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Re: JSR-311 update

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.