Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2013/03/22 17:07:51 UTC

is there a cmake uninstall target????

Hi All,
separate thread to my cmake build woes :-)

I've just noticed (or not!) that there doesn't *seem* to be a "make
uninstall" target in the cmake Makefile.

I had a skim through the targets and couldn't see an obvious uninstall.
Have I missed something, is it called something else?

It'd certainly be good to have a target to clean up install directories
for when I might need to properly start afresh. I don't much fancy going
through manually deleting.

Any thoughts?

Frase

Re: is there a cmake uninstall target????

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 22 March 2013 18:26, Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com> wrote:

> Hi Fraser,
>
> > > Probably not - note, though, that there are multiple ways that cmake
> can
> > handle "install" - it can generate an RPM, for example, that would do
> > uninstall nicely.
> > It's a nice idea, but not much good on my Ubuntu box :-)
>
> I haven't looked into it, but cmake could most likely be coerced to
> produce whatever you need.
>
> > I *really* think that I should be able to get a clean install and
> uninstall using
> > cmake before I'd properly deprecate automake - so do keep on with the
> > magic incantations to help me say hello to cmake and goodbye to automake.
>
> We'll need to rely on assistance from you to get Ubuntu running.

I think that virtual machine software and operating systems being
sufficiently free should help anyone with the relevant experience to help
out if required :)

(also, committers can get free MSDN subsciptions for project related use,
for anyone wanting to say they dont have Windows :P)

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 03/23/2013 04:58 AM, Fraser Adams wrote:
> On 22/03/13 19:19, Steve Huston wrote:
>> No - your plugin needs 'x' access to work.
>>> Something is definitely messed up :-(
>> Yes - the install is not really right. To check the build itself use ./qpidd
>> --load-module ./ha.so
>>
> ./qpidd --load-module ./ha.so
> 2013-03-23 08:34:02 [Broker] critical Unexpected error: Error in configuration
> file /usr/local/etc/qpid/qpidd.conf: Bad argument: |cluster-mechanism=DIGEST-MD5
> ANONYMOUS|

cluster-mechanism is an option for the old cluster.so plugin, not needed (or
recognized) by the ha.so plugin. Clean your config file of any cluster-*
options, only ha-* options needed in the brave new world.

> I've looked in my src directory and
>
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 fadams fadams 1817653 2013-03-22 16:06 ha.so
>
> so that *should* be fine
>
> also tried:
>
> ./qpidd --module-dir /home/fadams/qpid/qpid-trunk/qpid/cpp/bld/src
> 2013-03-23 08:31:52 [Broker] critical Unexpected error: Error in configuration
> file /usr/local/etc/qpid/qpidd.conf: Bad argument: |cluster-mechanism=DIGEST-MD5
> ANONYMOUS|
>
> Use --help to see valid options
>

> I've also tried doing chmod +x to the *.so files in /usr/local/lib/qpid/daemon
>

> for info though, if I do export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
> I can do:
>
> qpidd
> 2013-03-23 08:38:40 [Broker] critical Unexpected error: Error in configuration
> file /usr/local/etc/qpid/qpidd.conf: Bad argument: |cluster-mechanism=DIGEST-MD5
> ANONYMOUS|
>
> Use --help to see valid options
>

> I still fairly strongly believe that I shouldn't have to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> especially when I didn't with automake, but at least it's giving consistent
> weirdness compared to running ./qpidd in src so I guess it's progress of sorts :-X
>
> any more thoughts?
>
>>> I'm not warming to cmake yet, can you tell :-D
>> Resistance is futile :-)
>>
> I'm not assimilated yet. Shields are still up and the Delta Quadrant remains in
> quarantine :-D

We'll get you back on track. If cleaning up the .conf file doesn't do it, shout
and tell me what you are seeing next.

Re: is there a cmake uninstall target????

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
I've reverted back to my *working* automake build :-P

OK so I'm not being mean, I wanted to see if I could figure out any
differences.

Looking in /usr/local/lib with the cmake build I'm seeing things like:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root       22 2013-03-22 13:41 libqpidbroker.so ->
libqpidbroker.so.2.0.0
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  8328742 2013-03-22 13:33 libqpidbroker.so.2.0.0

however with the automake build I'm seeing

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root      1147 2013-03-23 09:15 libqpidbroker.la
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root        22 2013-03-23 09:15 libqpidbroker.so ->
libqpidbroker.so.2.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root        22 2013-03-23 09:15 libqpidbroker.so.2 ->
libqpidbroker.so.2.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  50660744 2013-03-23 09:15 libqpidbroker.so.2.0.0

This may not be significant especially as the error says "qpidd: error
while loading shared libraries: libqpidbroker.so.2.0.0: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory" but the missing
libqpidbroker.so.2 is clearly different (I tried chmod +x
libqpidbroker.so.2.0.0 BTW but that didn't help). I don't *think* the
static library libqpidbroker.la should be making a difference, but who
knows.....

thoughts?

Also the qpidd.conf for the 0.20 automake build is the same as the 0.21
cmake build saying "cluster-mechanism=DIGEST-MD5 ANONYMOUS" but the 0.20
version works fine.

As a (probably unrelated :-X ) aside, one thing I've noticed with 0.21
is that there appears to be some changes with persistent store, I
noticed something like store.so in /usr/local/lib/qpid/daemon with 0.21.
When I commented out the cluster-mechanism line in qpidd.conf I got:
qpidd
2013-03-23 09:06:08 [Store] warning Message store plugin: No storage
providers available.
2013-03-23 09:06:08 [Network] notice Listening on TCP/TCP6 port 5672
2013-03-23 09:06:08 [Broker] notice Broker running

So I'm guessing there's a new approach to persistence with qpidd??

RE: is there a cmake uninstall target????

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Good point.

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Fraser,

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 22/03/13 17:43, Steve Huston wrote:
> It's all part of the plan for world domination ;-)
I'll go back to automake in a sulk y'know ;-p

> Probably not - note, though, that there are multiple ways that cmake can handle "install" - it can generate an RPM, for example, that would do uninstall nicely.
It's a nice idea, but not much good on my Ubuntu box :-)

> Usually I just run out of the build directory. Less hassle.

I guess that's probably the least hassle approach for running and
testing multiple qpid broker versions and I might ultimately be tempted
to go down that path, though not sure it's ideal for building clients.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Fraser,

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 03/22/2013 01:55 PM, Fraser Adams wrote:
> On 22/03/13 17:27, Chuck Rolke wrote:
>> The one time I uninstalled I used 'xargs rm < install_manifest.txt'
>>
>> It wasn't so bad.
>>
>> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Can_I_do_.22make_uninstall.22_with_CMake.3F
>>
> Thanks Chuck,
> that seemed to work, though it's not entirely obvious nor intuitive.

Surely it's fairly straightforward to add a make uninstall target that does the
equivalent of xargs rm < install_manifest.txt'? I imagine it can be done
portably using cmake commands but at the worst we could stick in a trivial
python program.

> Interesting that you say "the one time I uninstalled" TBH I've always had to
> make uninstall every time I've previously upgraded qpid versions 'cause I'd get
> weird build problems, I guess due to ld finding the old library versions before
> new ones. Perhaps that was an issue with the automake make system, but to me it
> just "feels right" to start from a clean slate. Not having a "make uninstall"
> just feels weird.
>
> Anyway the xargs thing seems to be OK though I think it's worth adding to the
> README as we move to cmake.
>
> still can't get the cmake install to work though :-( I should've waited 'til
> Alan got back off holiday :-D

Let me have it :)

Re: is there a cmake uninstall target????

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.