Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2019/10/02 11:59:21 UTC

Donation of subproject for PLC4X

Hi all,

my company decided to donate our project CRUNCH [1] that has been developed internally to the ASF.
The idea is to integrate it as subproject into the PLC4X Project [2].
The PMC has already performed a VOTE on that task [3,4] and we also filed a Software Grant as well as CCLA and ICLAs for all committers of the project.

What are the next steps to take?
We need to find a name and go through namesearch, or?
And also we need to do IP Clearance, or?

I’m happy for all pointers in the right direction : )

Julian

[1] https://github.com/pragmaticminds/crunch
[2] plc4x.apache.org
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9a8078209e005215232f6c02c2433ce0ef67473fe01414a1ac717c23@%3Cdev.plc4x.apache.org%3E
[4] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3ef7b144ae60a3bd3bf2f592b6ecb6ed540967a45be252a072d3eead@%3Cdev.plc4x.apache.org%3E

Re: Donation of subproject for PLC4X

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Thanks for jumping in Chris, yes.
We never liked the name anyway but never had a better one : )

But currently we are discussing that with the community to hiopefully come up with a  better one.

Julian

Am 07.10.19, 11:28 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

    Hi all,

    We have that on our radar and that's why we're discussion naming options.
    We're not planning or ever had planned naming it "Crunch".

    Chris

    Am 07.10.19, 10:57 schrieb "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bd...@codeconsult.ch>:

        On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 10:52 AM Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
        > ...while a name search is not necessary I'm sure you're aware that there's
        > already an Apache Crunch project which _might_ confuse people...

        Good point, thanks!

        While a formal podling name search is not needed, it's of course a
        good idea to choose a somewhat unique name. My favorite metric for
        that is if Google doesn't find the suggested name...

        -Bertrand

Re: Donation of subproject for PLC4X

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

while a name search is not necessary I'm sure you're aware that there's
already an Apache Crunch project which _might_ confuse people even though
this is supposed to become a subproject. I don't know anything about the
project but some subprojects are later spun out as TLPs.
I'm not sure if Crunch is still actively being worked on or moving to the
Attic soon but I just wanted to point it out.

Cheers,
Lars

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,