Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Herb Martin <He...@learnquick.com> on 2005/08/10 18:30:24 UTC

Is there a UNIX socket test client program (a la NetCat)?

Is there a UNIX socket test client program (a la NetCat)?

I need to test a variety of UNIX (not IP/INET) socket daemons for both
syntax and "are you running".

Is there a program that can read-write to an arbitrary Unix-type socket in a
manner similar to NetCat or Telnet?

My simple attempts to adapt the "Perl Cookbook"
Unix socket program didn't work and no one on the comp.lang.perl.misc
newsgroup has been able to offer a suggestion.

Perl code is nice but a compiled program is fine too.

I am running SpamAssassin, and a variet of other programs listening on Unix
sockets and it would help a great deal if I could interactively test such
sockets.

--
Herb Martin

Re: Is there a UNIX socket test client program (a la NetCat)?

Posted by Nix <ni...@esperi.org.uk>.
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Herb Martin wrote:
> Is there a UNIX socket test client program (a la NetCat)?
>
> I need to test a variety of UNIX (not IP/INET) socket daemons for both
> syntax and "are you running".
>
> Is there a program that can read-write to an arbitrary Unix-type socket in a
> manner similar to NetCat or Telnet?

socat <http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/> can send data between, well,
just about *anything*. Unix-domain sockets are among those things.

(Downside: hideous command-line syntax.)

--
`Tor employs several thousand editors who they keep in dank
 subterranean editing facilities not unlike Moria' -- James Nicoll