Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org> on 2013/05/20 21:20:47 UTC

Update of pages oo.o credits

Hi

This pages about credits of members [1], were did the last updated:
2010-11-15, long time.

1 - http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html

Think need update.

I has read in others emails for a list of volunteers, could
improvements here also.

                    Albino

Re: Update of pages oo.o credits

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.
2013/5/20 Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>:
> IMHO, I think that the best is put a "cut line" and to restart this
> list, e.g., preserve this as a old page and in this new page putting a
> link to it.

+1

> In other hand, i think that is a good time to list other contributions
> like in wiki, infra and other fronts beyond the commits in the code.
> But to track this contributions ways and register in one page this
> credits is a additional work... Necessary.

Recently there was a list of contributors here AOO dev list, I found
the history.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>wrote:

> On 20/05/2013 Claudio Filho wrote:
>
>>  http://www.openoffice.org/**welcome/credits.html<http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html>

>> list, e.g., preserve this as a old page and in this new page putting a
>> link to it.
>>

> I see that Kay has now updated the page with an "outdated" notice, saying
> that current information is reachable from
> http://openoffice.apache.org/**people.html<http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html>
>
> This is good. It only leaves one problem: the current link we place in
> OpenOffice is to http://www.openoffice.org/**welcome/credits.html<http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html>and it doesn't look nice that OpenOffice 4.0 points to a page that says
> "This page is outdated".
>
> I see two solutions:
>
> 1) Preserve the link, move http://www.openoffice.org/**
> welcome/credits.html <http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html> to
> http://www.openoffice.org/**welcome/credits-ooo33.html<http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits-ooo33.html>and move/copy
> http://openoffice.apache.org/**people.html<http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html>to
> http://www.openoffice.org/**welcome/credits.html<http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html>
>
> 2) Change the link in OpenOffice (and all translations) so that it points
> to http://openoffice.apache.org/**people.html<http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html>
>
> I think one of the two should be implemented. Solution #1 is heavier on
> the website side, solution #2 would be easier if we weren't in translation
> phase (even though it can probably be automatically done on all languages).
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

>From a historical perspective, solution #1 is a good choice. However,  I'm
not sure it would have the same impact as what is presented now in the
"legacy" page with the list of names, but, that's OK I guess. I would
certainly want to keep the wiki "self post" aspect.

If we moved the information from:

http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html

over to the website on a new "/welcome/credits.html", I think I would keep
this statement (well even that needs to be changed) with its link to
"about" which could also use some also use some changes and link back to
the project site.

*"OpenOffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org/about.html> acknowledges all
community members, especially those mentioned here.* If your name is not
listed, please contact your project lead."

MzK

"You can't believe one thing and do another.
 What you believe and what you do are the same thing."
                             -- Leonard Peltier

Re: Update of pages oo.o credits

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/5/26 Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>

> On 20/05/2013 Claudio Filho wrote:
>
>>  http://www.openoffice.org/**welcome/credits.html<http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html>

>> list, e.g., preserve this as a old page and in this new page putting a
>> link to it.
>>

> I see that Kay has now updated the page with an "outdated" notice, saying
> that current information is reachable from
> http://openoffice.apache.org/**people.html<http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html>
>
> This is good. It only leaves one problem: the current link we place in
> OpenOffice is to http://www.openoffice.org/**welcome/credits.html<http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html>and it doesn't look nice that OpenOffice 4.0 points to a page that says
> "This page is outdated".
>
> I see two solutions:
>
> 1) Preserve the link, move http://www.openoffice.org/**
> welcome/credits.html <http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html> to
> http://www.openoffice.org/**welcome/credits-ooo33.html<http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits-ooo33.html>and move/copy
> http://openoffice.apache.org/**people.html<http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html>to
> http://www.openoffice.org/**welcome/credits.html<http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html>
>
> 2) Change the link in OpenOffice (and all translations) so that it points
> to http://openoffice.apache.org/**people.html<http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html>
>
> I think one of the two should be implemented. Solution #1 is heavier on
> the website side, solution #2 would be easier if we weren't in translation
> phase (even though it can probably be automatically done on all languages).

About option 2, changing this is a matter of five seconds on pootle, so it
is not a problem. But I think #1 is a better solution considering that we
are talking about a page on the main site: maintaining everything up to
date there, moving outdated material to a dedicated page is better, IMO.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 29/05/2013 Kay Schenk wrote:
> To move this along,  I took the liberty of:
> * copying the old credits.html to credits-ooo33.html
> * revising credits.html with the same info we have on
> http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html

Thank you, looks good!

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Update of pages oo.o credits

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.
2013/5/28 Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>:
> * copying the old credits.html to credits-ooo33.html
> * revising credits.html with the same info we have on
> http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html

Thank you ! :-)

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM, Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org> wrote:

> 2013/5/26 Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>:
> > 1) Preserve the link, move
> http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html to
> > http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits-ooo33.html and move/copy
> > http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html to
> > http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html
>
> +1
>
> No more.
>
>                             Albino

To move this along,  I took the liberty of:

* copying the old credits.html to credits-ooo33.html
* revising credits.html with the same info we have on
http://openoffice.apache.org/people.html

but left that page where it is. It's in mdtext and maybe some people like
using that format better.

The outdated caveat is still on credits-ooo33.html. Feel free to remove if
you see fit. Also note the translated pages referenced on that page are
still available in unmodified form as well.

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

OpenOffice is to http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html and it

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
2013/5/20 Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>:

> On 2013-05-20, at 20:58 , Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> This pages about credits of members [1], were did the last updated:
>>> 2010-11-15, long time.
>>> 1 - http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html

IMHO, I think that the best is put a "cut line" and to restart this
list, e.g., preserve this as a old page and in this new page putting a
link to it.

In other hand, i think that is a good time to list other contributions
like in wiki, infra and other fronts beyond the commits in the code.
But to track this contributions ways and register in one page this
credits is a additional work... Necessary.

Claudio

Re: Update of pages oo.o credits

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 2013-05-20, at 20:58 , Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> This pages about credits of members [1], were did the last updated:
>> 2010-11-15, long time.
>>
>> 1 - http://www.openoffice.org/welcome/credits.html
>>
>> Think need update.
>>
>> I has read in others emails for a list of volunteers, could
>> improvements here also.
>>
>>                    Albino
>>

> Plus the talk of "project leads".  Is this a list of Oracle employees?
>
> Don

No.
For instance, Maho is probably listed, as is Pavel and many others who are not nor ever were Oracle employees. A project lead no longer really makes sense in AOO, of course. I chose the term, "Project Lead," over "Project Owner" because, as I've explained before, its sounded less proprietary.

Louis

Re: Update of pages oo.o credits

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.