Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by dennis81 <dl...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/25 03:59:29 UTC

Block placement in HDFS

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether it is possible to control the placement of the
blocks of a file in HDFS. Is it possible to instruct HDFS about which nodes
will hold the block replicas?

Thanks!

Re: Block placement in HDFS

Posted by Dhruba Borthakur <dh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dennis,

There were some discussions on this topic earlier:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-3799

Do you have any specific use-case for this feature?

thanks,
dhruba

Re: Block placement in HDFS

Posted by Pete Wyckoff <pw...@facebook.com>.
Fyi - Owen is referring to:

Re: Block placement in HDFS

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.

Re: Block placement in HDFS

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@korea.ac.kr>.
Hi All,

I try to divide some data into partitions explicitly (like regions of
Hbase). I wonder the following way to do is the best method.

For example, when we assume a block size 64MB, a file potion
corresponding to 0~63MB is allocated to first block?

I have three questions as follows:

Is the above method valid?
Is it the best method?
Is there alternative method?