Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Noah Slater <we...@nslater.org> on 2010/07/08 01:38:58 UTC

[VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Hello,

I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round.

We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

We are voting on the following release artifacts:

 http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.0.0/

These artifacts have been built from the 1.0.0 tag in Subversion:

 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.0.0/

Happy voting,

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 8:46 AM, till <ti...@php.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Noah Slater <we...@nslater.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round.
>>
>> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
>> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
>> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!
>>
>> We are voting on the following release artifacts:
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.0.0/
>>
>> These artifacts have been built from the 1.0.0 tag in Subversion:
>>
>>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.0.0/
>>
>> Happy voting,

> Ubuntu 10.04:
> ./configure --with-js-lib=/usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9.2.6/lib
> --with-js-include=/usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9.2.6/include
> make
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9.2.6/lib
> make check
>

> All tests successful.
> Files=34, Tests=509, 45 wallclock secs ( 0.18 usr  0.08 sys + 15.70
> cusr  2.34 csys = 18.30 CPU)
> Result: PASS
>
> Ubuntu:
>
> Question - should the above be added to the readme file for Ubuntu?
> Also, I'm guessing the start script needs to do this on ubuntu as
> well. Should this be build in?
>
> CentOS:
>
> Also wondering if anyone had any luck building 1.0.0 on CentOS - it
> fails right now because of libcurl (7.15, but 7.18 is required). Even
> with the latest CentOS 5.5, there's no libcurl 7.18. Some people say
> that they backport a lot of fixes though, so could we instead assume
> that 7.15 on CentOS works with CouchDB?
>
> Is there any special reason to require libcurl 7.18 vs. 7.15?
>
> Till

+1 All tests pass on Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

I've got a laptop running Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit and another box running
Debian Lenny that I could test out at some point today if more testing
is needed.

-Russell

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 8 Jul 2010, at 16:46, till wrote:

> Ubuntu 10.04:
> ./configure --with-js-lib=/usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9.2.6/lib
> --with-js-include=/usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9.2.6/include
> make
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/xulrunner-devel-1.9.2.6/lib
> make check
>

> All tests successful.
> Files=34, Tests=509, 45 wallclock secs ( 0.18 usr  0.08 sys + 15.70
> cusr  2.34 csys = 18.30 CPU)
> Result: PASS
>
> Ubuntu:
>
> Question - should the above be added to the readme file for Ubuntu?
> Also, I'm guessing the start script needs to do this on ubuntu as
> well. Should this be build in?

The README should handle the best case scenario of your system and environment being set up correctly. Any funky issues that are distribution specific should probably be addressed on the wiki, so go ahead and create a page or modify one of the existing ones, I'd say.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by till <ti...@php.net>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On 8 Jul 2010, at 00:38, Noah Slater wrote:

> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round.

+1

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi Dave,

thanks for reporting. Let me comment :)

On 9 Jul 2010, at 05:29, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:

> -1 please take this with a grain of salt - concerned my issues could
> be with my build process or lack of understanding. I will re-build
> from clean slate over weekend to make sure I have that down pat.
>
> Let me know if you want more details from below. built with Erlang
> R14A  as INSTALL.Unix says >=R12B5

R14A is a preview release of Erlang and should not be considered
stable*. 0.11.1 and 1.0.0 do support R14A though.

* http://erlang.org/

> - OSX Snow Leopard & erlang R14A courtesy of macports

It doesn't look like it is the culprit here, but if you ever have
any trouble with MacPorts, check out Homebrew**.

** http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew

> - using macports couchdb-devel modified to pull down 1.0.0 r961564

We are voting on the release artefacts on

  http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.0.0/ &
  http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/0.11.1/

and not source code tags. Even though the code is the same, any
errors you might get could be related to a bad combination of
build tools that are bypassed when building from the tarball.

> - iMac 2006 intel core duo 2.16GHz 4GB RAM

Sounds good :)

> - firefox 3.6.6 - all tests pass in a few minutes

Yay :)

> - safari 5.0  - still running after 30m....

We only officially support Firefox, but I think Chrome and Safari 4
are working fine too. Safari 5 is rather new and breaks behaviour
in a number of places that we haven't gotten any contributions
to fix for. We just can't go after all the weird browser behaviours
and try to stick to Firefox as a baseline. Errors in other browsers are
less concerning and certainly not release blockers. That said, we
happily expect patches to fix issues with any browser.

> ATTACHMENTS: error- takes 228784ms
> Exception raised: {"message":"Out of
> memory","line":33,"sourceId":4566181712,"sourceURL":"http://localhost:5984/_utils/script/couch_test_runner.js?0.11.0"}
>
> ATTACHMENT_PATHS: failure - takes 1079ms
> Assertion failed: binAttDoc._attachments["foo/bar2.txt"].content_type
> == "text/plain;charset=utf-8"
> Assertion failed: binAttDoc._attachments["foo/bar2.txt"].content_type
> == "text/plain;charset=utf-8"
> Assertion failed: binAttDoc._attachments["foo/bar2.txt"].content_type
> == "text/plain;charset=utf-8"
> Assertion failed: binAttDoc._attachments["foo/bar2.txt"].content_type
> == "text/plain;charset=utf-8"
>
> DELAYED_COMMITS: succeed - takes 1359038ms
> COMPACT: error - takes 11579ms
> Exception raised:
> {"line":416,"sourceId":4559438640,"sourceURL":"http://localhost:5984/_utils/script/couch.js?0.11.0","code":101,"message":"NETWORK_ERR:
> XMLHttpRequest Exception 101","name":"NETWORK_ERR"}
>
> REPLICATION - takes 387ms
> Exception raised: {"message":"Result of expression 'options.headers'
> [undefined] is not an
> object.","line":402,"sourceId":4559438640,"sourceURL":"http://localhost:5984/_utils/script/couch.js?0.11.0","expressionBeginOffset":12921,"expressionCaretOffset":12936,"expressionEndOffset":12952}
>
> NB would be happy to do windows builds in future if somebody is able
> to help pin down the right release process.

It is pretty well documented in the INSTALL.Windows file, what other
questions do you have?

Thanks again for your report :)

Cheers
Jan

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Robert Newson <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1

make distcheck and Futon all clean.

OS X 10.6.4, Erlang R13B04, spidermonkey 1.8.5.

B.

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Jul 8, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Adam Kocoloski wrote:

> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm -1 on these artifacts.  View group compaction is broken.  The couch_view_group server calls couch_file:delete/1 to try to remove the current index file when the compaction is complete, but that function does not exist anymore - it's been replaced by couch_file:delete/2, which takes the root directory as the first argument.  The process will crash, and will continue to use the old uncompacted file when it starts up again.

I've taken advantage of this re-do to backport Damien's fixes to make compaction start requests synchronous, to both 0.11.x and 1.0.x

I've also fixed and backported jquery.couch.js so that it can properly trigger compaction.

Chris

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:34 PM, Damien Katz wrote:

> I broke that code. Sorry. Thanks to Filipe for the fix and test.
>
> I agree with Adam we need to redo the release. Changing my vote to -1

I agree, let's roll it again now that these fixes are in and backported.

Thanks Noah!

Chris

Posted by Damien Katz <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org> wrote:

> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm -1 on these artifacts.  View
> group compaction is broken.  The couch_view_group server calls
> couch_file:delete/1 to try to remove the current index file when the
> compaction is complete, but that function does not exist anymore - it's been
> replaced by couch_file:delete/2, which takes the root directory as the first
> argument.  The process will crash, and will continue to use the old
> uncompacted file when it starts up again.
>
> It looks like we don't have a test for view group compaction.  I'm pretty
> busy at the moment, perhaps someone else wants to take a look?  It could be
> modeled off of the compact.js test for DB compaction.  Best,

Working on it.

cheers

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.

Posted by Volker Mische <vo...@gmail.com>.
+1

All Futon tests and make check passes on:

AMD64, Ubuntu 9.10/10.4 hybrid (64-bit), Erlang R13B01,
xulrunner 1.9.1.9, FF 3.6.3

AMD64, Ubuntu 10.4 (32-bit), Erlang R13B03,
xulrunner 1.9.2.6, FF 3.6.3

AMD64, Debian testing (64-bit), Erlang R13B04,
libmozjs-dev 1.9.1.9, Iceweasel 3.5.9

Cheers,
   Volker

Posted by Klaus Trainer <kl...@web.de>.
+1

All tests pass successfully.
Ubuntu 10.04 amd64, Erlang R13B03, Spidermonkey 1.8.1.16

- Klaus

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
On 8 Jul 2010, at 00:38, Noah Slater wrote:

> Happy voting,

I am aborting the vote.

A number of release critical issues were found and have been corrected.

I will call a second round of voting very soon.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by till <ti...@php.net>.
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 8 Jul 2010, at 17:22, till wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Noah Slater <we...@nslater.org> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round.
>>>
>>> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
>>> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
>>> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!
>>>
>>> We are voting on the following release artifacts:
>>>
>>>  http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.0.0/
>>>
>>> These artifacts have been built from the 1.0.0 tag in Subversion:
>>>
>>>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.0.0/
>>>
>>> Happy voting,

>> -1
>>
>> Downloaded the tarball from Noah's space.
>>
>> OS: FreeBSD 6.x
>>
>> ./configured worked, make fails:
>>
>> extremely% make
>
> How about extremely% gmake?

Har. I keep forgetting this. Sorry: +1 that mofo.

./configure, gmake, gmake check - Great success! ;-)

All tests successful.
Files=34, Tests=509, 47 wallclock secs (18.84 cusr +  3.20 csys = 22.03 CPU)

Till

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 8 Jul 2010, at 17:22, till wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Noah Slater <we...@nslater.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round.
>>
>> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
>> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
>> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!
>>
>> We are voting on the following release artifacts:
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.0.0/
>>
>> These artifacts have been built from the 1.0.0 tag in Subversion:
>>
>>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.0.0/
>>
>> Happy voting,

> -1
>
> Downloaded the tarball from Noah's space.
>
> OS: FreeBSD 6.x
>
> ./configured worked, make fails:
>
> extremely% make

How about extremely% gmake?

Cheers
Jan

Posted by till <ti...@php.net>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Noah Slater <we...@nslater.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round.
>>
>> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
>> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
>> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!
>>
>> We are voting on the following release artifacts:
>>
>>  http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.0.0/
>>
>> These artifacts have been built from the 1.0.0 tag in Subversion:
>>
>>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.0.0/
>>
>> Happy voting,

> tested on
>
> - openbsd 4.7 , erlang R12B3
> make check ok
> js tests ok
>
> md5 signature ok
>
> - osx 10.6.4, erlang R14A
> make check ok
> js tests ok
> openssl md5 signature ok.

+1 then ...

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Noah Slater <we...@nslater.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round.
>
> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

>  http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.0.0/
>
> These artifacts have been built from the 1.0.0 tag in Subversion:
>
>  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.0.0/
>
> Happy voting,

tested on

- openbsd 4.7 , erlang R12B3
make check ok
js tests ok

md5 signature ok

- osx 10.6.4, erlang R14A
make check ok
js tests ok
openssl md5 signature ok.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by Sebastian Cohnen <se...@googlemail.com>.
+1

OS X 10.6.4, Erlang R13B04, Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6

Posted by Filipe David Manana <fd...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by David Coallier <da...@php.net>.
OSX Leopard / Erlang R13B04

Posted by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
+1

OS X 10.6
Erlang R13B04

make discheck fine
Futon tests pass in FF
Futon tests hang in attachments on Safari5 and Chrome

ship it!

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 8 Jul 2010, at 01:38, Noah Slater wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like call a vote for the Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round.
>
> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release artifacts so
> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made. Everyone is
> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!

> http://people.apache.org/~nslater/dist/1.0.0/
>
> These artifacts have been built from the 1.0.0 tag in Subversion:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/tags/1.0.0/
>
> Happy voting,

Signature and hashes are good.

Tested on Mac OS X 10.6.4, Ubuntu Karmic, Ubuntu Lucid, OpenSolaris 5.11, all with various versions of Erlang (R13B and R14A), Spidermonkey and ICU.

All browser tests (Firefox) and make check pass.

A very happy +1.

Cheers
Jan

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 8 Jul 2010, at 16:13, Damien Katz wrote:

> Unfortunately, I saw sporadic test failures related to compaction. The problem was the server can return 202 on compaction requests before it actual starts them. Then the test code checks to see if the compaction has finished, by checking compact_running flag on the db_info. If it hasn't yet started, the test code thinks it must have completed, and continues to the next steps in the tests.
>
> This looks to be the same failure Sebastian Cohnen hit occasionally on 0.11.1 as well.
>
> I've checked in a fix to trunk, r961791.
>
> I'm +1 on this release, but I'll support redoing the release and vote if Noah thinks its a good idea.

We regularly ship with known problems. Every ticket in JIRA that is open at he point of release would be an example of this. I don't have the insight to know if this particular issue is a show stopper or not. If the community think it's fine as is, let's just backport this fix for the 1.1 and 0.11.2 releases.

Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 1.0.0 release, first round

Posted by Damien Katz <da...@apache.org>.