Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@redknee.com> on 2005/12/11 19:56:05 UTC

POP3 Implementation done

I have completed the POP3 implementation and the patch is attached.
Comments and code reviews are greatly appreciated.

I have done it in a Geronimo independent way so that the code can be
moved out to a sub project in the future by just changing the package
name.

What is done
=============
1. POP3Store, POP3Folder and partial implementation of POP3Message for
JavaMail API

2. All support classes including factories for POP3Command and
POP3Response and a POP3Connection abstraction.

3. Can connect, authenticate with user/pass and retrieve mail.

What needs to be done
======================
1. Complete support for POP3Message, currently not all headers are
parsed and, InetAddress for getRecipients(), getFrom are not working
properly.

I am working on it, and will have something by Monday.

2. SSLSocket support using JSSE, bcos for instance Google POP3 doesn't
work as it runs over SSL.

Is this a priority???

3. Needs more testing with different mail servers. Tested with only my
mail server. I really need help with this !!!!

4. Need to do some code review and more documentation.

5. Unit tests.

For now I have included the pop3 impl inside
geronimo-javamail-transport.
We can either move it to a sub project called geronimo-javamail-store or
we can rename the current project to geronimo-javamail-providers (for
both transports and stores)to be in line with the JavaMail spec.

I like the second option.

Regards,

Rajith Attapattu.

Re: POP3 Implementation done

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
This is great!

Can you create a JIRA issue and attach the patch to it?  Also make
sure to click the "Grant license to ASF for inclusion in ASF works
(as per the Apache Software License ยง5)" box.

You can JIRA here http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/
BrowseProject.jspa?id=10220

Thanks,

-dain

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 12/11/05, Rajith Attapattu <ra...@redknee.com> wrote:

> I have completed the POP3 implementation and the patch is attached.
> Comments and code reviews are greatly appreciated.
>
> I have done it in a Geronimo independent way so that the code can be
> moved out to a sub project in the future by just changing the package
> name.
>
> What is done
> =============
> 1. POP3Store, POP3Folder and partial implementation of POP3Message for
> JavaMail API
>
> 2. All support classes including factories for POP3Command and
> POP3Response and a POP3Connection abstraction.
>
> 3. Can connect, authenticate with user/pass and retrieve mail.
>
> What needs to be done
> ======================
> 1. Complete support for POP3Message, currently not all headers are
> parsed and, InetAddress for getRecipients(), getFrom are not working
> properly.
>
> I am working on it, and will have something by Monday.
>
> 2. SSLSocket support using JSSE, bcos for instance Google POP3 doesn't
> work as it runs over SSL.
>
> Is this a priority???

Let's get the base more stable and get tests written before we begin
to add addition strategies.

> 3. Needs more testing with different mail servers. Tested with only my
> mail server. I really need help with this !!!!

Yes, we must talk about how we can best do this.

> 4. Need to do some code review and more documentation.
>
> 5. Unit tests.
>

> For now I have included the pop3 impl inside
> geronimo-javamail-transport.
> We can either move it to a sub project called geronimo-javamail-store or
> we can rename the current project to geronimo-javamail-providers (for
> both transports and stores)to be in line with the JavaMail spec.
>
> I like the second option.

i would prefer to change the name from transport to providers and
house every implementation under there (e.g., imap, pop3, smtp, etc.).
We can talk more about this after this week when ApacheCon is over and
I'm back home.

This is great, Rajith - thanks very much for your hard work!

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/