Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2014/03/09 08:52:21 UTC

[VOTE] Release Compress 1.8 Based on RC1

Hi all

I talked about cutting Compress 1.8 in particular because of
COMPRESS-264 but delayed it waiting for a new XZ for Java release.

  Compress 1.8 RC1 is available for review here:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/compress/
    (svn revision 4610)

  Maven artifacts are here:
    https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1017/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.8/

  Details of changes since 1.7 are in the release notes:
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/compress/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.8/changes-report.html

  I have tested this with JDK 1.6 and 1.7 using maven3.

  The tag is here:
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.8-RC1/
    (svn revision 1575664)

  Site:
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.8/
  (note the apidocs-18 will be added with the release and I'll rebuild
    the site including the release date once it has been accepted)

  Clirr Report (compared to 1.7):
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.8/clirr-report.html

  RAT Report:
    http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.8/rat-report.html

  KEYS:
  http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS

  Please review the release candidate and vote.
  This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after 0800
  GMT 12-March 2014 - I'll be sitting in a plane by then so it will
  likely be a few hours more than that.

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.8 Based on RC1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 7:19 PM, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>wrote:

> +1
>
> builds for from source with my compiler zoo (incl. Java 8 - build 120).

Try a current Java 8 build like:

java version "1.8.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0-b132)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.0-b70, mixed mode)

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.8 Based on RC1

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
+1

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Le 09/03/2014 08:52, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> I talked about cutting Compress 1.8 in particular because of
> COMPRESS-264 but delayed it waiting for a new XZ for Java release.
>
>   Compress 1.8 RC1 is available for review here:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/compress/
>     (svn revision 4610)
>
>   Maven artifacts are here:
>     https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1017/org/apache/commons/commons-compress/1.8/
>
>   Details of changes since 1.7 are in the release notes:
>     https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/compress/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.8/changes-report.html
>
>   I have tested this with JDK 1.6 and 1.7 using maven3.
>
>   The tag is here:
>     http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/compress/tags/COMPRESS-1.8-RC1/
>     (svn revision 1575664)
>
>   Site:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.8/
>   (note the apidocs-18 will be added with the release and I'll rebuild
>     the site including the release date once it has been accepted)
>
>   Clirr Report (compared to 1.7):
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.8/clirr-report.html
>
>   RAT Report:
>     http://people.apache.org/~bodewig/cc-1.8/rat-report.html
>
>   KEYS:
>   http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/KEYS
>
>   Please review the release candidate and vote.
>   This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after 0800
>   GMT 12-March 2014 - I'll be sitting in a plane by then so it will
>   likely be a few hours more than that.
>
>   [X] +1 Release these artifacts

Luc

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Tested with Java 7 64-bit on Windows 7 from src zip file, MD5 and sig OK.

Not a blocked: Java 8 fails due to at least one Javadoc error.

Gary

[RESULT] Release Compress 1.8 Based on RC1

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
The vote has passed with +1s by

Emmanuel Bourg
Oliver Heger
Luc Maisonobe
Gary Gregory
Jörg Schaible

and no other votes.

I'll proceed with publishing the release artifacts but it may take a bit
longer than usual to update the site as I'm traveling right now.  Should
be done by Friday the latest.

Thanks to all who took the time to review the release

       Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.8 Based on RC1

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
+1

I reviewed the API changes and checked the tests on Windows 7 with Java 7.

Emmanuel Bourg

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2014-03-09, Oliver Heger wrote:

> When building with Java 1.5 I get the test failures below (this was
> already the case for the previous releases, so probably no reason to
> worry about).

It looks as if LZMA2 requires a lot of memory, all the failing tests are
using LZMA2 with default setting.  Probably some GC change in Java6
allows the default memory settings of the JVM to be sufficient.  We had
test failures in Continuum and Gump for a test where I requested a 16MB
dictionary rather than the default 4MB - so even for Java6+ we seem to
be close to the limits.

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Release Compress 1.8 Based on RC1

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Build works fine with JDK 1.7 on Windows 8.1. When building with Java
1.5 I get the test failures below (this was already the case for the
previous releases, so probably no reason to worry about). Artifacts and
site look good.

+1

Oliver

Tests in error:
  SevenZFileTest.testReadingBackDeltaDistance:141 ╗ OutOfMemory Java
heap space

SevenZOutputFileTest.testLzma2Roundtrip:239->testRoundTrip:436->createAndReadB
ack:451->addFile:395->addFile:404 ╗ OutOfMemory

SevenZOutputFileTest.testBCJX86Roundtrip:248->testFilterRoundTrip:444->createA
ndReadBack:451->addFile:395->addFile:404 ╗ OutOfMemory

SevenZOutputFileTest.testBCJARMThumbRoundtrip:258->testFilterRoundTrip:444->cr
eateAndReadBack:451->addFile:395->addFile:404 ╗ OutOfMemory
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testStackOfContentCompressions ╗ OutOfMemory Java
heap sp
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testEightFilesSomeNotEmpty ╗ OutOfMemory Java
heap space
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testBCJPPCRoundtrip ╗ OutOfMemory Java heap space
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testDeltaRoundtrip ╗ OutOfMemory Java heap space
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testSixFilesSomeNotEmpty ╗ OutOfMemory Java heap
space
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testBCJARMRoundtrip ╗ OutOfMemory Java heap space
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testNineFilesSomeNotEmpty ╗ OutOfMemory Java heap
space
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testBCJSparcRoundtrip ╗ OutOfMemory Java heap space
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testArchiveWithMixedMethods ╗ OutOfMemory Java
heap space

  SevenZOutputFileTest.testTwentyNineFilesSomeNotEmpty ╗ OutOfMemory
Java heap s
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testDirectoriesAndEmptyFiles ╗ OutOfMemory Java
heap spac
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testBCJIA64Roundtrip ╗ OutOfMemory Java heap space
  SevenZOutputFileTest.testSevenFilesSomeNotEmpty ╗ OutOfMemory Java
heap space
  SevenZTestCase.testSevenZArchiveCreationUsingLZMA2 ╗ OutOfMemory Java
heap spa
  XZTestCase.testXZCreation ╗ OutOfMemory Java heap space